Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

I got the 03 Genesis I

I got the 03 Genesis I I was looking at for 1600 on a 2 place trailer so I figured I'd make a new post. I was NOT able to water test it, but I did start it and once the reverse motor was unplugged it did rev past 3500. It appears the reverse motor is stuck just down slightly. Can these be rebuilt? I was told the owner before this guy dumped some oil down the cylinders. This guy changed the EMM. It did start kinda hard. It does have old gas, which I am removing. When it started it did smoke pretty good but I didn't hear any engine noises. I let it idle and did fine. I plan on going over this machine fully to my capabilities. Now to a questions. Could the hard start be from not being started for a while, the oil in the cylinders or the guy I got it from that did not "sync" (not sure of the term) the used EMM to the injectors. I do need to cover the fuel lines along the injector rail. It has the brown starter solenoid. Here are a few pics of it. It anyone needs to see something else just ask I have it here at work. The gauge pic is it "off" is this right? Thanks RS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Genesis 1.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	306917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Genesis2.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	306918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Genesis3.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	306919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Genesis4.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	306920  

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Nice looking ski! If you think there is any chance the injectors were not programmed into the EMM, then you need to have that verified. Hard start could be many things. Look at the link in my signature for information on troubelshooting.

The reverse may be able to be fixed depending on what is wrong. Could be a limit switch failure, or the motor failed. The manual for the ski has a detailed switch diagram for the reverse motor. I would print that, pull the motor and figure out where your issue is.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is the original EMM still around? If so, it might be good to have it.

MFI display looks normal to me.

+1
    No I did not get the the old EMM. I have now encountered the starter just spinning and not turning the motor. What is the easiest way to take apart and fix/replace. I couldn't find in the service manual or anywhere how to remove the starter or whatever is needed to fix this issue. I did put new plugs in and it ran much better. I then stopped it, waited a while went to restart and no spin of the flywheel. Hope to put in water Thursday. Thanks

+1
    Ok so after dinner I went out and turned the pto drive and the starter came free. Was able to get it to turn over and eventually started. Let it idle for 15 sec and shut off. waited a lil bit and hard start again and this time the rpm raced up. This is the first time I have seen this. I haven't looked at the new plugs yet.
    Last edited by rsracin05; 07-17-2013 at 12:11 AM.

+1
    Sounds like you need to be methodical and verify the condition of everything.

Starter motor is down low on left side of engine. Hard to get at without removing exhaust pipe. Bendix gear is behind flywheel, must remove flywheel to remove Bendix.

Engine revving up could be a bad TPS or a sticking throttle cable. Or burnable liquids accumulated inside the crankcase.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Sounds like you need to be methodical and verify the condition of everything.

Starter motor is down low on left side of engine. Hard to get at without removing exhaust pipe. Bendix gear is behind flywheel, must remove flywheel to remove Bendix.

Engine revving up could be a bad TPS or a sticking throttle cable. Or burnable liquids accumulated inside the crankcase.
    Would you consider a lot of oil someone dumped in the cylinder "burnable" the old plugs I pulled out were very wet with oil. Sorry for all the questions. I really am trying to read and search my own answers.

+1
    UPDATE: I removed flywheel and found 1 loose magnet. Can I epoxy back on nothing is broken? Bendix and some broken teeth. I will clean and put new bendix in. Anything else to look for while open. Got a barley used bendix from dealer and a flywheel gasket for 100. I figured not bad from dealer.
    Last edited by rsracin05; 07-18-2013 at 05:03 PM.

+1
    So I was able to water test this machine today after changing the bendix and epoxying the magnet back on the flywheel. The machine idled about 1050-1100
    I didn't see any major leaks but water was entering the hull but not more than the bilge could handle. It wasn't constant either. So the only way to get this started is to give it a quick shot of starter fluid. It starts instantly, runs until I shut it off. If I wait any longer than 2 seconds to try and restart I need the starting fluid again. The research I did on this site tells me to check the injectors during cranking for 20v and 45 while running right??? And check fuel pressure for 22psi??? This machine also has some type of hesitation between 2500-4000rpm. It runs fine above that and I saw max 6200 @56 on dream o meter. I do have reverse unplugged. Any suggestions??? Thanks I should note battery showed 12.2-12.7 volts on mfi. I plan on getting an odyssey.
    Last edited by rsracin05; 07-19-2013 at 08:36 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rsracin05 View Post
    So I was able to water test this machine today after changing the bendix and epoxying the magnet back on the flywheel. The machine idled about 1050-1100
    I didn't see any major leaks but water was entering the hull but not more than the bilge could handle. It wasn't constant either.

So the only way to get this started is to give it a quick shot of starter fluid. It starts instantly, runs until I shut it off. If I wait any longer than 2 seconds to try and restart I need the starting fluid again.

The research I did on this site tells me to check the injectors during cranking for 20v and 45 while running right??? And check fuel pressure for 22psi???
    Correct

This machine also has some type of hesitation between 2500-4000rpm. It runs fine above that
    I have a machine with similar symptoms. Not yet figured it out.

and I saw max 6200 @56 on dream o meter.

I do have reverse unplugged. Any suggestions??? Thanks I should note battery showed 12.2-12.7 volts on mfi. I plan on getting an odyssey.
    6200 RPM is a tad low, should be closer to 6700.

Check the sealed through-hull fitting the driveshaft runs through. That bearing carrier should be rebuilt every handful of years or about 100 engine hours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information