Angry [power filter install] i'm having a competition at my house.

f%&*^%^&#%&^#%$%#&%$*#%$*&%#&*^%#&^*$%#&^*%$#%&*$k !!!!

installing a riva power filter into the FZS.

job basically finished. get to the very last task, screwing the power filter pipe into the support bracket.

45minutes later i've decided to start a competition. i'll share the results with you all. i'm trying to achieve:

Drop the bolts and washers into the interior of the ski and have to spend 5minutes fishing them out each time: goal 1000 times.
    Reach in with a wrench/spanner/socket and knock the delicate balance of nut and washers off the bracket and into the interior of the ski and spend 5 minutes fishing them out: goal 500 times.
    Line everything up perfectly, scream in joy when i have it, attempt to thumb screw the bolt into place ready to torque it with a wrench only to realise, no, everything is not lined up perfectly: goal 1,000,000 times.
    Line everything up perfectly, use my fingers to get a thread screw going, reach in with spanner and somehow manage to loosen the entire assembly and have everythig fall into the interior of the ski and spend 5 minutes fishing them out: goal 500 times.
    Bang my hands and arms up so bad, the only time i notice that i've cut myself and i've been bleeding all over the place is when I'm fishing around looking for loose nuts and bolts in the bottom of the ski and the dried salt rubbing into the wunds causes so much pain i feel like my hands have been transported to hell and the devil is poking them with a pitchfork: goal 20 times.
    Swear so loudly that neighbors passing by, stop to check if somebody is trying to murder me in my front garden: goal 100 times.

needless to say i have packed everything up and i will try again tomorrow. i'm sure i will achieve all of my goals.

if i go to hell when i die, i'm sure it will be full of power filters and bolts just laughing at me.

Wtf, lmao

+1
    LOL, nothing worse than dropping fasteners in hull. Next time get some very large cotton bath towels and lay them in the hull under your work area.

+1

+1
    Patience grasshopper, patience !!! We're rooting for you !!!

+1
    I just went through this on Friday night! I started at 11pm thinking it would be a simple 30 minute job at max to get ready for the morning on the lake. Took us like 10 minutes to take everything off, and got to the point to you got. It is very tough to get the bolt started down through the bracket with the wasker and lock washer. The bolt is not very long and I could not get the threads started. I ended up not using the lock washer and made sure I used loctite. I also had to loosen the 2 nuts holding the metal support bracket on to give it more play to get it to line up and to get it lined up. That part took me 25 minutes and I dropped the washer and bolt once. Had to use a dang magnet to fish them out and my arms are scraped up pretty good. After you get the tube secured to the mounting bracket, then you can tighten the metal bracket up and you are good to go. The last part was a little frustrating.

Now the good news......

The power filter kit is the only mod I have done . I will do the ribbon delete this week. Just the power filter kit on, I hit the lake sat. Morning. First difference is the sound. It now has a whistle to the intake, but it is very subtle and not annoying or anything. I really like the way it sounds. I felt a little difference in the acceleration and performance of the ski. Not huge, but a little difference. I look forward to the ribbon delete and to see how it feels after that.

Now the bad.....

If I am at cruising speed all is good. However, if I nail the throttle hard from a low cruising speed, I get a bad vibration noise for a second or so then goes away. I can not figure it out. All hardware is tight, so no rattling there. I think I might have tightened the metal bracket too much, which had pulled the plastic valence on the outside of the ski in too much. It is now making too much contact with the side if the hull and vibrates when there is a lot if vibrations during hard acceleration. Not sure yet, but it is annoying when you first hit the gas to accelerate hard......

ok. got mine on. 3 beers gave me the neccessary patience to get her on. Like you i had to drop the lock washer. i'll check to see if mine is touching or anything before i take mine out.

now my problem.

can one of you guys with a power filter, fire up your ski and place your hand down next to the supercharger, right where the joint is on the aluminium billit that connects the filter pipe to the supercharger. when you pull the throttle do you get just a little bit of air escaping through the joint - that is the joint in the billet, not the joint between the charger and the billet itself - where the tightening hex bolts are located.

Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    I just went through this on Friday night! I started at 11pm thinking it would be a simple 30 minute job at max to get ready for the morning on the lake. Took us like 10 minutes to take everything off, and got to the point to you got. It is very tough to get the bolt started down through the bracket with the wasker and lock washer. The bolt is not very long and I could not get the threads started. I ended up not using the lock washer and made sure I used loctite. I also had to loosen the 2 nuts holding the metal support bracket on to give it more play to get it to line up and to get it lined up. That part took me 25 minutes and I dropped the washer and bolt once. Had to use a dang magnet to fish them out and my arms are scraped up pretty good. After you get the tube secured to the mounting bracket, then you can tighten the metal bracket up and you are good to go. The last part was a little frustrating.

Now the good news......

The power filter kit is the only mod I have done . I will do the ribbon delete this week. Just the power filter kit on, I hit the lake sat. Morning. First difference is the sound. It now has a whistle to the intake, but it is very subtle and not annoying or anything. I really like the way it sounds. I felt a little difference in the acceleration and performance of the ski. Not huge, but a little difference. I look forward to the ribbon delete and to see how it feels after that.

Now the bad.....

If I am at cruising speed all is good. However, if I nail the throttle hard from a low cruising speed, I get a bad vibration noise for a second or so then goes away. I can not figure it out. All hardware is tight, so no rattling there. I think I might have tightened the metal bracket too much, which had pulled the plastic valence on the outside of the ski in too much. It is now making too much contact with the side if the hull and vibrates when there is a lot if vibrations during hard acceleration. Not sure yet, but it is annoying when you first hit the gas to accelerate hard......
    i've got ribbon delete, exhaust, intake, ride plate and impellor swap to do. as well as an impellor on the superjet. let me know how you go.

also, just to close the story.

2007. Somewhere in Japan at the R&D center for Yamaha, Horihito-san is about to go to lunch when his phone rings.

Horihito-san: "moshi moshi! It is my most humble pleasure to anwser my telephone. How can Horihito-san assits you?"
    Yoshida-san: "Horihito-san! This is Yoshida-san over at the design studio. I'm working on the Typhoon-Blossom-XJ454 prototype and i need some of your valuable input!"
    Horihito-san: "Yoshida-san! Of course. Anything I can do to assist you in that most fearsome of prototypes! I will give you my life if you so command!"
    Yoshida-san: "Thankyou Horihito-san. If it comes to that, i will do you the honour."
    Horihito-san: "Thank you so much Yoshida-san. I have heard a rumor that the Tanaka-san from Marketing has finalised the name concept for the Typhoon-Blossom-XJ454 Concept. They will call it the FZR!"
    Yoshida-san: "I have no time for this rumour nonsense! You waste our employers time with this drivel of names."
    Horihito-san: "1 million apologies my good colleague. How can i serve you to make up for my foolishness?"
    Yoshida-san: "Tell me. What is the average arm length and hand size of an American Devil's arm?"
    Horihito-san: "From 2006 data I can tell you that the average gaijin has an arm length of 252mm from Elbow to wrist and hand size of 156mm! These sizes are trending upwards at approximately 0.343% each 2 years."
    Yoshida-san: "Ah so....a dillema. But nothing I cannot solve..."
    Horihito-san: "Please tell me Yoshida-san. Perhaps I can help....?"
    Yoshida-san: "Yes, well you have already helped me quite enough. You see I have just finshed the design of the interior mechanics of the Typhoon-Blossom and i have internal dimensions between all the major components that is greater than 252mm and 156mm....Now I must redesign everything so that there is much less than that!"
    Horihito-san: "Yoshida-san. You honour me that you would allow me to assist you in this most important of missions. The work you undertook to prevent gaijins working comfortably within the hull of the SuperJet series is the stuff of legends. I pray that you will be as successfull in this mission!"
    Yoshida-san: "I will never forgive Tanaka-san for pampering to those American Devils! SuperJet! Bah! Between us we shall refer to that series by it's true name of Searing-Katana! Well at least I made it impossible for gaijins to work inside her comfortably! Ha-Ha. It speaks well of you that you would remember my work on that project. Well enough of this, i must get back to my designs!"
    click!

Thread Information