guttin my water box

hey im gonna gut my water box whats the best way ive seen people shorten them some say do some no? was gonna cut end off cut j pipe hole saw big hole just not sure weather to shorten it or not?

anyone?

+1
    There are a few different way to do this as you already know...You can gut the whole box out completely and shorten it,or you can cut the end cap off,drill a big ass hole in the baffle and put it back together..IF you chose the gut and shortened routine then i HIGHLEY recommend cutting 1 3/4 inches off the bottom of your J-pipe...

whats a better way to do it? if i shortened it how much do u shorten it by?

+1
    This is how you want to do it!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374021530.923175.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	307000

Banned User
    +1
    My suggestion, do not shorten it. If its not done right, it will have issues with WOT runs and having dry/hot spots...

The best for flow and least back pressure is a single 5" hole in the main baffle wall, and a trimmed exit hole...Leave the Jpipe alone, or flare it slightly...

To do this mod, remove the end cap that is near the motor. Trim the exit tube, which is the longest pipe internally, try to make it flush as you can. if you can not get it flush, its okay...I use a 5" hole saw on a drill, but several cuts with a smaller hole saw will work also...just NO SHARP EDGES.

Name:	5_inch.jpg 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	307001

Airflow reference thread...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97790

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    My suggestion, do not shorten it. If its not done right, it will have issues with WOT runs and having dry/hot spots...

The best for flow and least back pressure is a single 5" hole in the main baffle wall, and a trimmed exit hole...Leave the Jpipe alone, or flare it slightly...

To do this mod, remove the end cap that is near the motor. Trim the exit tube, which is the longest pipe internally, try to make it flush as you can. if you can not get it flush, its okay...I use a 5" hole saw on a drill, but several cuts with a smaller hole saw will work also...just NO SHARP EDGES.

Name:	5_inch.jpg 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	307001

Airflow reference thread...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97790
    so i just cut the end off and drilled 2 3 inch holes and grinded down the middle so it looks like an 8 but where they meet is not sharp i also cut the exhaust flush. so you are saying do nothing with the j pipe just leave it or flare it a bit?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by zx809 View Post
    so i just cut the end off and drilled 2 3 inch holes and grinded down the middle so it looks like an 8 but where they meet is not sharp i also cut the exhaust flush. so you are saying do nothing with the j pipe just leave it or flare it a bit?

YUP....You can flare the pipe if you want, not much though...just a 1/4 inch bigger.

The trick is not to disturb the Secondary baffle that is directly under the jpipe, that is a protection shield in case you starve the system of water and it will not burn through the bottom...When people shorten, they either trim it or remove it. What they don't understand is that water and exhaust will flow differently if the waterbox is different lengths...

From all my flow work, the 5" hole is the best...Gives the best flow, the lowest backpressure....and the deepest sound also

Thread Information