beginner question

okay, obviously it is bad to leave a pwc in salt water for a prolonged period of time, but what is considered "prolonged"? case in point:
    I do not yet have a lift or a jet dock at my house on a lagoon, but my neighbor is letting me use his jet dock. he lives one lagoon over, which will be kind of annoying to go back and forth over the course of a day as I take multiple runs out to the bay.

during a typical saturday, i could see me picking it up at my neighbors house, going out into the bay, then returning back to my house with it and leaving it in the water. Then a few hours later, taking another run out to the bay, returning home, then probably doing it again...essentially, the ski would be in the salt water all day long, sometimes running, sometimes just parked at my house. is this bad?

my plan would be to return it to my neighbor's house before dark, flush it, clean it up nice and store it there until next time. Any advice on this? Can this be damaging to the craft or is this common? by the way, the lagoons arent the cleanest around. when I leave my kayak in there for a day it gets this sludge film on it.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Leaving it in the water all day is fine. I always leave in the morning and come home at dark if I take mine out.

+1
    I leave my ski in the water while I ride it. That's it.... But I also don't live on the water. PWC sink even if you look at them the wrong way. I've seen pics of brand new ones under water from sitting overnight

What you dont want is water in the hull or engine long enough to evaporate and leave salt. That's where the problem comes in. Obviously a day of riding is OK, but I wouldn't leave it more than a couple. Make sure you clean it and flush it with fresh water after every ride. Keep the electrical contact points well-lubed as well.

+1
    Im more worried about it sinking ha ha EVERY PWC takes on water it's just a matter of how much

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Im more worried about it sinking ha ha EVERY PWC takes on water it's just a matter of how much
    Outside of maybe a few drops, neither of mine take on any.

7. +1 by:

GGG

+1
    If it were me I would pull it out of the water after you are done riding it for the day and flush it. I don't like salt water sitting on the ski or in the cooling passages/hoses. You might want to look into a floating dock. I saw a bunch on craigslist recently.

Thread Information