Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

SUV fishing rig build

I sold my boat a few months ago. i didn't plan on it, someone just made me an offer i couldn't refuse. In reality, it was too much boat for someone who primarily fishes alone. (24 chaparrel walk around). There were many days i burnt 50 gallons of fuel chasing flounder around the bay. Add in slip fees, bait, etc, and it became an expensive hobby. The boat was too much for me to launch alone, so if the fish were biting on the cape may reef, i was stuck 40 miles away... I have a wife and 2 kids, my wife has never been on the boat in 3 years of owning it. my son went out with me 2 or 3 times, he'd rather play xbox of ride bikes with his friends. my daughter is too young to take out and enjoy it, so it was just me out fishing 99% of the time.

After reading jetskibrian's reports for the last few years, I decided to give jetski fishing a shot. I figure it could work out for me and my situation. I guess i could fish ridiculously inexpensively when and where i want, tow the ski to where the fish are and launch it myself with ease. I can take it cruising with the wife and kids, hang out at Corson's, etc. Pull the kids around on a tube, ski's, knee-board's, etc. It all makes sense in my head, time will tell if its practical or not.

A few weeks ago picked up a 2001 yamaha suv from a guy in Virginia. He was an older guy who bought the ski to keep at his campground. He bought it so that he could entertain his grand kids but said they hardly ever came down to the campground. (they all live in PA). the ski has low hours for its age, a rebuilt motor was installed last season and it has been well maintained. I ordered a gps/fish finder Monday, and it has arrived, so i mocked it up where i want to mount it. A couple of U bolts later, and she was permanent.

My plan for the rigging is to be very low key. I want the wave-runner to be a very capable fishing machine, but also still a waverunner. I want to be able to use the factory cover, and not have anything in the way of fishing or jet-skiing. I don't plan on going offshore on it,(yet) and you wont find me striper fishing in December. I mounted the chart plotter/fish finder under the bars so that it doesn't stick up interfering with the cover, or block the view of my gauges on the ski.

The chartplotter/ fishfinder is a lowrance elite-7 hdi. It has the downscan sonar that the hds series has when you buy structure scan. My unit will not do side scan, but will do down scan, all on the same transducer. I always wanted structure scan on my boat, but never pulled the trigger. This is a very cost effective alternative with the added bonus of not having 2 transducers and a separate processing unit to wire up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gps1.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	307008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gps.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	307007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gps3.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	307009  
    Last edited by tenacious; 07-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.

next I installed a vhf . It's a standard horizon explorer. It's only 5 3/8" wide, 2 3/4" tall, and 2 1/2" deep. I cut out the bottom of the compartment under the plotter and flush mounted it there. there is some dead space between that tray and the fiberglass hull below it,so it fit right in with some careful cutting with a dremel. I bought the flushmount kit to secure it in place and its rock solid. the vhf fit in there nicely and is out of the way if i'm in a creek and not using it since the door still closes with the mic in the compartment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vhf12.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	307010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vhf11.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	307011

next on the list was mounting the transducer. I saw a bunch of people put them in their hull in silicone or epoxy, but the manual for the ff says that it will lose sensitivity.my solution: I bought a stern saver to mount the transducer. It gets epoxied to the hull and the transducer mounts to it so you don't put any holes in your hull. I had to modify it to fit the small section of hull it is going to occupy. I drilled 2 additional holes in it and used the left over epoxy to stick the cable to the hull. the epoxy is ridiculously strong, i couldn't pull the cable back off. the hole you see the cable going into is a drain for the foot wells, i used it to run the transducer cable into the hull without making any holes in the hull.

Name:	ducer.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	307012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ducer1.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	307013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ducer2.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	307014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ducer3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	307015

after that stuff was done, I moved on to mounting a second battery. I didn't want to mount it in any of my storage areas, so i came up with a creative solution. First i made a battery box and insulated it with some heat shield i had left over from another project.
    I made, fit, and then marine epoxied 3 legs to the lower inner hull, and built a "bridge" across them. I made the legs fit tight so that the platform is held tight against my footwells inside the hull. the platform is screwed to the epoxied legs, and the battery box is screwed to it. I strapped it to the platform and the fuel tank straps, just for peace of mind.

All of the connections are heat shrunk, and taped. I wrapped all of them in a protective plastic jacket. I used 6 ga. wire for everything.

I am mounted the battery switch under the vhf, i'm drilled out the access panel and installed it into the panel itself. I left myself plenty of wire to work around if i have to.

Name:	battery1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	307016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	307017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery strapped.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	307018

next i installed a screen protector and cover on the chartplotter. installed the vhf antenna and ran the cable to the radio, installed the front rod holders, and finished up the wiring.
    the antenna is 3' tall and folds down so its not in the way when i put the cover on. i think i am going to be primarily fishing off the back of the ski, so it shouldn't bother me any up front.
    the front holders are adjustable 360 degrees, so i think i will use them to hold my poles while i'm underway (for peace of mind) and i will adjust them to point twords the rear with a net of gaff in them while i'm fishing. I am able to reach it easy enough, but they stay totally out of my way while i'm fishing.

Name:	antenna.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	307029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holders.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	307030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holders1.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	307031

Last edited by tenacious; 01-25-2014 at 06:48 PM.

I made arrangements with Don Battin of pipe dreams marine to have acustom cooler/rod rack built. He wont be able to get to it for a couple more weeks, but i'm very sure it will be worth the wait. His work looks great.

To sum it up, the cooler will hang off of the back of the ski, instead of taking up space on the rear deck. It will have a bait knife holder and a holder for pliers. I plan on making and mounting a bait cutting station on top of the cooler, so the pliers and knife holder will come in handy. The rack itself is going to have two "C" shaped channels that will hook the rear deck, 1 bar that hooks to the tow hook of the ski, and 2 bars that hook to the tie down hooks on the lower hull. This way i don't need to drill any holes in the ski at all, and the rack can be easily removed if i need or want to. It will be very functional and convenient. I bought a 65 quart yeti cooler to go in the rack, i like the tie down and latch systems on them for my application, and their 5 year warranty makes me feel better about having a custom rack made to hold it.

Name:	cooler.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	307028

I took the ski out sunday for the first time. i left the marina and took a ride up a creek, just to check everything out with the ski. came back to the marina, gave everything the once over, got fuel and headed out. i couldn't be happier with how the ski ran and fished. it effortlessly cruised at 30-35 knots, and topped out at 43 knots. the ski didn't slam me around like my old gpr1200, size matters i guess. its big enough to sit on one side or the other while drifting, so i could move around a little. it was more comfortable than i thought it was going to be, i was worried about my back, but it was fine.

the lowrance elite 7 ff/gps was amazing. in total i traveled 32 nautical miles (i went sight seeing since i couldn't catch fish) and burnt just over 8 gallons of gas. I was running it hard though to get worst case scenarios for fuel range calculations. the ski is even more stable than i thought it would be. I just have to get used to not having the big deck my 24' did.
    I caught brown sharks and flounder, nothing too exciting. I didnt get any pictures of the big brownies that were too big to play with on the ski. I did have a chinese fire drill when i caught a keeper flounder though, the net was in the sponson, under my tackle bag.... i just got done moving and didn't have time to set things up yet when i caught it. that will be fixed once my cooler rack is built and installed, i will have a nice holder for the net.
    now its just a waiting game for my rack to be built. I will probably fish some more while i'm waiting. I look forward to posting some reports on here as i get out.

Name:	1st fish on the ski.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	307032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shark on the ski.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	307033

+1
    Thanks for the instructional build. I have done the same thing. I watch all of JetskiBrians videos and looked at all his pictures. Then I sold my boat and bought a 2001 SUV. I do appreciate the fact, that you took the time to post all of your work. It will come in handy while I'm building mine. I don't have the money to throw at my SUV but will little at a time.
    I do have a some of questions. First how does the front seat fit after you mounted the VHF and switch installation? Second, I hope you post some pictures of the fishing rack on the back and list who built it and maybe a price? Third, can you take some closer pictures of your front rod holders, and are they strong enough to use while trolling? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by FAT RAT View Post
    Thanks for the instructional build. I have done the same thing. I watch all of JetskiBrians videos and looked at all his pictures. Then I sold my boat and bought a 2001 SUV. I do appreciate the fact, that you took the time to post all of your work. It will come in handy while I'm building mine. I don't have the money to throw at my SUV but will little at a time.
    I do have a some of questions. First how does the front seat fit after you mounted the VHF and switch installation? Second, I hope you post some pictures of the fishing rack on the back and list who built it and maybe a price? Third, can you take some closer pictures of your front rod holders, and are they strong enough to use while trolling? Thanks again.
    the front seat is not affected by the switch or vhf at all. I didnt have to do anything to the seat at all. If you look on your ski, it is all unused, open space. (i do have another brand new battery switch and vhf that i will sell cheap if your interested, i accidentally ordered them twice).
    as soon as the rack is built and installed, i will get some pictures up. in post number 7 i listed the name of the company building the rack. I will pm you the estimate i got sometime today.
    the front rod holders are rock solid, here is a close up picture of the holder itself, i will take closer pictures on the ski later today as well.

Name:	rod holders.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	307208
    good luck with your build, its a fun process. i look forward to seeing you post your projects.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information