Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1

What's Your Optimum Engine Temperature Opinion ?

We all know about heat soak on the supercharged engines and how it affects the power.
    So what engine temperature is the range of choice to run ? I would guess/suggest a 20-40 degree heat range spread after a good warm up?
    A stock motor normal temperature would be what ? And a mid boosted motor should be close to the same temperature for optimum performance.
    I don't want to throw some numbers out for grabs because I read some numbers and just curious as to what you guys are seeing .
    Thanks,
    Max

+1
    Im going to say 180-195f Now keep in Mind with our 160f thermostats. Oil heats faster than water because oil has a lower specific heat, which means it takes less energy to raise the temperature. Therefore it is critical to properly cool your oil in High boost and turbo setups cause Both play a major factor in overall cooling. Today's Oil's Optimum efficient temp's is between 180-210f anything over and you lose viscosity (oils weight),descreasing clearance in engine internals,loss of oil pressure,decreased flow, thermal breakdown and damage to engine in long run. In conclusion Im a strong believer in maintaining proper Oil temps at all cost and regulating it properly with a proper thermostat. Im not a believer in no thermostat and that is a hillbilly backyard theory and is asking for trouble when your engine is too cold

+1
    That's good info on the thermal efficiency of oil.
    As far as power robbing heat in our engines, I am thinking to stay 190 and below. Say, 170-190 F range.
    I also believe in keeping the thermostat in place. In fact, I ran the R&D dual thermostat in my '09 FZ and it worked great for colder temps. Doesn't seem to help much when the water heats up above 80F.

+1
    With a 160 thermo your not going to see 170 for long in hick town bama in summer.. Rule of thumb is 20 Degrees over Thermostat Give or Take depending on Boost Application That's why I went with 180 But 170 Is Good If you can Keep it there What are the thermostats are your Yamicookies at?

+1
    Damn, lost my post..
    The water gets hot down here on the coast of 'bama. Bays and rivers are getting lots of rain but not cooling down any.
    I think it was R&D that stated 160-190 was optimum for the 1.8 SHO.
    Anybody else with Vipec or Motec want to give some input here ?

+1
    I have a motec , if your thermo opens at 160f your engine will not be 160f so that falls right in line with 180-195.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post
    I have a motec , if your thermo opens at 160f your engine will not be 160f so that falls right in line with 180-195.
    Thanks. I have the 160 thermostat.
    I was a little concerned when I started to see 190-200 even though I was at 15lbs boost.
    Going to do something with the cooling line routing to get some more water flow.

+1
    Are you running open Loop?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post
    Are you running open Loop?
    Basic cooling routing with dedicated line from pump strainer to IC via a sediment filter. Then added a second thermostat where the zinc anode was and used a 5/8" "t" for water to dump out the stock rear pump tunnel. Eliminated the "X" fitting on main water inlet using a 5/8x1/2x5/8 "t". 1/2" is for the flush.
    I'm thinking not enough volume ?

+1
    I dump the second thermostat that's not helping you the whole point of a thermostat is to regulate the water temp to your motor. There should be one main water inlet to motor just like in any motor with a thermostat. In our case we need to branch off so we can split before and after strainer what I did and it may be unorthodox to others is inlet in split "y" one to exhaust one to strainer then to intercooler and straight to thermostat then into motor. I took my pressure relief/bleed from intercooler and ran a 1/2 hose to oil cooler mocking the 5/8 inlet then exited the side of hull closest the oil cooler. I then took my exit water from my motor and welded a custom bung 3/4 inch on my 4inch rear exhaust for dump. My header is fully water jacketed so they jump through each pipe then collector to exhaust inlet, exhaust exit and baffle out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information