Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Leaving the ski in salt water

Okay, so that other thread has me concerned about the well-being of our skis when we go to Bimini in about 6 weeks. I'm pretty sure that they will be staying in the water at the dock outside the condo from August 29th through September 1st. I seriously doubt that I will be able to get them out of the water the entire time, much less purge them.

Can I expect serious damage to come from this? Do I have to worry at all?

+1
    If you cant find somewhere to take it out and set on a cradle that would be ideal, but there are ways to hook up a simple 12v pump in a bucket of Salt Away and flush the skis internals. The pump will be exposed as well as everything else under the waterline. Didn't seem to be a problem to others that did it, but your ski. Beaching would bring more issues with hull scuffing and scratching. Maybe find a place with jet docks?

+1
    I really wouldn't be all that concerned, I have left mine in the water for a week while on vacation (more than once) and nothing happened.

This is really a loaded question, and no one and definitively say yes or no, that your ski will float or not. There are too many variables in this situation. But in the end, itll either float or sink...and anything can happen to the ski when you arent looking at it. Sponson bolts can leak, the shoe , ride plate bolts and a couple other places as well. What kind of ski is it? I would check it every 10-15 minuets the first few hours of it initially letting it sit in the water. Then check it ever 30 min to an hour for the rest of the day, you want to remember where the water meets with the sponson on the outside, that way at a glance, you can tell if its floating or if it has water in it. You also want to pop open the seat and look to see if there is ANY(even the smallest amount) of water more then when you last looked at it. Even a slight trickle overnight can turn into a huge problem when you wake up in the morning.

Personally, I would try spray the ski down with water after every use, and leave the seat cracked open for it to dry, then an hour or so later( when you go to check on it) you can spray it down with a heavy coat of wd40. If you keep that engine wet with oil, you will prevent almost any corrosion thatll build up over there. Spray EVERYTHING with wd, then spray it again.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eb87 View Post
    I really wouldn't be all that concerned, I have left mine in the water for a week while on vacation (more than once) and nothing happened.
    I've done the same while on vacation in Florida...just spray the exposed metal down with CRC-656 before you put it in, spray everything off with fresh water (inside and out) when you take it out, then re-apply CRC. And of course flush the engine with fresh water for several minutes.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    As long as your ski doesn't leak, leaving it in for a long weekend won't kill it, provided you clean it right when they come out.

+1
    Thanks for the input, everybody! The skis are brand new Yamahas. FX HO. And so far, there has never been a drop of water getting inside. Nothing comes out when we pull the plugs and we have never seen anything inside the hull.

I will definitely bring some Fluid Film with me and spray it down regularly. I will also keep an eye on them.

We will be staying in some condos that have their own docks, but I suspect they are made for larger boats. So they probably won't have PWC amenities. We will definitely flush them as soon as we get back to the States.

+1
    Have you had the chance to watch a show called "Dangerous Waters"? These 4 guys are doing a trip to Russia from Seattle (I think it was). They are taking well more than a weekend in the salt and yes docking daily but still leaving them in the water when they do so. They only had 3 episodes available when I watched it last, but the ended up on the way to Gnome, AK. Interesting show, but the point here is they leave the craft in the salt and so far only took them out to make some needed modifications for the trip (I assume the washed them at the time) but that was after a few days of riding. Based on what they are doing, I have way less concern about what I am doing.

+1
    +2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Okay, so that other thread has me concerned about the well-being of our skis when we go to Bimini in about 6 weeks.
    Where is this other thread...

Also make sure you get an EPIRB beacon if you don't already have one; probably should have one on each ski...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...s#.Ue1YclNgPbg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information