Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Mounting the GPS

Okay, so now that I have the Garmin GPSMap 640, I have to mount it. It looks like the least damaging way to mount it would be to fashion a slip-in mount to fit in the cup holder. However, DaWife likes the way that other guy (tenacious?) has his mounted over in the fishing forum. So I wouldn't be totally adverse to that. Any suggestions/recommendations?

How 'bout recommendations of somebody to actually install it? I axed the local shop, but they wouldn't even consider it for "warranty considerations." I have a local fabrication shop that does good work--but a bit expensive. So I could probably get them to fabricate something to fit inside the cup holder. But the problem would remain of finding somebody who knows the wiring well enough to splice into the system. Know anybody?

+1
    I have something similar to this. I use a safety tether with it, but have never needed it.

Name:  0004740739120_75X75.gif
Views: 149
Size:  4.3 KB

+1
    Without getting into a fabrication project, a RAM-mount is probably the easiest way to go. It would probably be a good idea to make a backing plate if you go that route though, to help spread the load of that heavy GPS where you mount it to the ski. Whatever you decide, you'l definitely want to tether it somehow. I wouldn't want to rely on the spring loaded latch in the Garmin cradle to keep it secure, especially if you're gonna be riding in rough conditions.

Wiring is easy peasy. There's a switched 12v wire on the harness(below the steering) that powers the gauge cluster. You can splice into that. It's red with a yellow stripe if I remember right.

+1
    Try bolting it to the dry storage lid and buy an extra lid when not in use.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look at the Tallon Socket products

http://www.tallonsocket.com/

Be sure to use a fused wire when tapping into the existing watercraft wiring. You don't want an unexpected short in the new wiring to blow an internal watercraft fuse and disable something.

Anything you add to the watercraft wiring must be 100% water proof and well sealed. Automotive style crimp on wire taps are not good enough.

Wires must be protected by plastic sleeving and well supported to avoid excess flexing and stress during rough water riding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	307342

+1
    I assume the HO has the same screw on top storage thing that the SHO has? If so, my friend Sean (that rode the Marsh loop with the group at the Mudbug) made a sweet Go Pro mount by buying a 4" PVC cap with the same threads. That should also work well for a GPS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03906.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	307343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03903.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	307344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03904.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	307345

+1
    It is a wedge type plug that goes on the inside of the compartment opening. I originally wanted to do it in the cup holder but the size is wrong plus the type of plastic may crack with that type of force. The compartment is blown plastic so it can take the force that type of plug would put on the opening. I added the extended carriage bolt to get it to the correct height.

+1
    You know, I'm getting old. I thoroughly inspected that GoPro mount while we were at the Kajun Bahamas. And then it didn't even cross my mind. It looks like that will be my best solution!

And K, the GPS actually comes with a fused power wire. So, no worries in that department. I just hope that mjh has his wires identified correctly!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    You know, I'm getting old. I thoroughly inspected that GoPro mount while we were at the Kajun Bahamas. And then it didn't even cross my mind.
    Ha...it happens. And I started to comment something about you may have seen it on that ride.

+1
    Dang it! I went to both Home Depot and Lowe's today--and a local plumbing/air conditioning place. Can't find the right stuff. The big box stores have "male" caps and non-threaded caps. And I'm not gonna glue it on.

Oh, they also have stuff that looks like Sean's. But it is some kind of compression fitting with the compressing bolt exactly where Sean's is. That won't work for my GPS because its mount is a disc with 3 holes to screw it down, then use the single screw to hold the top half of the mount onto the bottom. Just using the top won't work, either because it would be trying to mate male-to-male (not that there's anything wrong with that!!! For my PC friends.).

Now, the plumbing supply store had a rubber one with a hose clamp. But I would have to tighten the clamp then beat it on--and then it has some ridges and stuff that would prevent a flush mount.

So, the only conclusion I'm coming to is that I'll have to get the flush mount plug and screw it into the female coupler which only has threads on one end. Then I guess I'll have to cut the coupler so that the threads would go onto the ski. Sheesh! This is getting complicated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information