Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 GSX RFI vs. 1997 XP

I have the possibility to pick one of these ski's up. I currently have a 2000 GS and am looking to add another ski (This would be my main one and the GS would become one for friends to ride with.) As far as i know they both have the 787cc engine in them except the GSX being RFI. I am looking for something that is fun to ride and that i can hold on to for a while. Both are in great condition. I know the XP has more room to mod, however the most i would want to do is intakegrate, sponsons, waterbox, air filter. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

+1
    easy choice-- gsx rfi

Very different machines and riding styles! I personally like the XP's. They are simple to work on, and it feels like you're driving a motorcycle on the water. I've heard bad things about the reliability of the RFI systems, but that could just be heresay. A few haters can ruin it for the rest.

+1
    I would go with the GSX, because the 97 Xp has the 787.. if you go Xp, go 98 and up. They have the 951.

Well, I guess theres arguments to either, but I say, get the biggest ballsiest ski you can afford.

+1
    I have a 97 xp that is kinda too much for me to handle. I was looking for a seadoo for family fun. But it's more of a one person ride and quick as hell. I'm a big dude 6'3" and about 280 lbs and its a pain to get on (or impossible) if not near the shore. But an absolute blast to ride. I dread the time I fall off in the middle of the lake.

+1
    Would replacing sponsons with bigger ones make it more stable and easier to get on? Or am I too big for its intended purpose?

+1
    Either one will be a great machine but I personally would pick the XP and do a few mods like dry out the pipe a bit, aftermarket f/a, mill the head, and an impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by OC seadoo View Post
    Would replacing sponsons with bigger ones make it more stable and easier to get on? Or am I too big for its intended purpose?
    Sounds like you need to practice balancing on it, and reboarding but yes, it's really more of a 1 seater.

+1
    my 03 xp with the 951, im 6 foot, 220, and i have a hard time getting back on in the middle of the lake.. and it sure does ride low, no matter what.. but it will scoot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman150 View Post
    my 03 xp with the 951, im 6 foot, 220, and i have a hard time getting back on in the middle of the lake.. and it sure does ride low, no matter what.. but it will scoot.
    You also need more balancing practice, you guys will get the hang of it. I'm 6'7 and 240#s and I ride my HX quite a bit AND can reboard it from the rear in the deep water. I can dance all around on an XP with no problems. I also ride an old 650sx stand-up.....balance is key.

+1
    i never learned to board an HX from the rear. i would tilt it over, start it up, and let it pull me up like water skiing..

i can get on my XP, i just look like a doof doing it.. i get to the back of the ski, throw a knee or tro up on the back, pull myself up to the back seat and lay on it, reach up and grab the handlebars, and then pull myself over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information