Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

How To Replace Mid Shaft?

So, I've been having trouble with my 01' GPR. I have a new Mid Shaft that should be here tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone can provide instructions on how to remove my old midshaft and install my new one? I hear it's roughly a 3 hour job.

+1
    1. Disconnect the battery
    2. Loosen up the SS worm clamp at the bottom of the stinger and rubber coupling.
    3. Remove the shroud that covers the mid shaft.
    4. Remove the 4 motor mount bolts. It is important to make an effort here to not allow the shims, washers, or bolts to fall into the hull. The front components are extreemly difficult to recover if they fall. You should have a plan.
    5. Slide the whole motor forward slowly, trying to keep the engine from falling off of the motor mounts. If it does fall off of the motor mounts, no worries, you just need someone with a strong back and a weak mind to help you lift the engine back onto the motor mounts..... either that or a hoist.
    6. Remove the 3 bolts that hold the mid shaft onto the hull.
    7. Remove the ride plate, swing bucket and thrust nozzle, then the pump. When the pump is removed, the mid shaft should come right off.

It would be a good time at this point to check your pump alignment by making sure that the aluminum transom plate was installed properly from the factory. This is one of the primary reasons that people have problems with their mid shafts in the first place, and if you do not correct this, the problem WILL come back.

8. The coupler on the mid shaft is right handed thread and so comes off like any normal bolt. Heat makes it come off very easily. You can confirm the threads with the new shaft. I have had to grind flat spots on the old shaft so that the vice could get a good bite on it to hold the shaft when I tried to unscrew the coupler.
    9. The carrier bearing must be pressed off and on to the new one. I think that you need the shaft to be pressed onto the bearing by about 400 thousandts, but you should double check that.

Hope this gets you started.

+1
    Thanks salty, doesn't sound too difficult. How do I get to the left front engine mount I can't even see it from looking at the motor.

+1
    Use a flashlight. Look underneath the exhaust pipe at the front corner of the head. Look from the "right" side of you boat and you will see it. You will need about an 18 inch extension with a swivel attachment. It is a 12mm bolt. Figure out the best way to keep the bolt, washer and shim from falling into the hull. You will play H#!! recovering these parts if they fall.

All of the shims are the same size so you will not have to keep tabs on where they were removed.

+1
    Not trying to brag but I changed one without unbolting the motor... but I took the rear exhaust pipe off so It might be a toss up

+1
    What do most people do to keep them in place? Seems like this is an easy job but a PITA

+1
    when you unbolt the mount, you have to grab the shim and lift up on the motor and pull the shim out. they are U shaped so when you get all of the motor mount bolts started again, you can slide the shims back in one at a time

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Not trying to brag but I changed one without unbolting the motor... but I took the rear exhaust pipe off so It might be a toss up
    What do you do to do this method? Any easier?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    when you unbolt the mount, you have to grab the shim and lift up on the motor and pull the shim out. they are U shaped so when you get all of the motor mount bolts started again, you can slide the shims back in one at a time
    Sounds like my back will be killing me tomorrow lots of lifting

+1
    You take the rear pipe off and pry the carrier bearing away from the bulkhead. The bulkhead flexes a lot. You should probably unbolt the motor lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information