+1

1996 polaris slt 700 Question about putting in newer style stator and cdi

Ok here I am again with another Polaris pwc. And it seems like alot of you guys know these things like the back of your hand. So heres my question? The ski I have now has no spark, Ohmed the stator and of course it tested bad. I want to install the update kit but of course it is discontined through polaris. I've done a bunch of research on here and what i am understanding is that i can used the newer style ignition system out of like a freedom 700. Is this true? I have a good used stator out of a freedom of course it has the wrong plug but all the wire are the same. I also have a new cdi box part #4010803. And I also have the newer style coil. With a little bit of elbow grease is it possible to make this system work?

+1
    Yes, it can work.
    Do you have other parts from the Freedom-like the stator housing and flywheel ?

+1
    No I do not. These are parts that I ended up ordering because i took my ski to polaris to have it diagonis and I think they were guessing. All that was wrong with my other ski was the lr 505. So now i have all these parts.

+1
    On the stator harness you will see the " D" shapped housing grommet-old stator uses a round grommet.
    If you cut off the 8 pin connecter-you can then pull the wires through the grommet (WD 40 makes a lot easier ) and pull them through the old grommet.
    It's best to solder the wires back together and use a good quality shrink wrap/wire sealer.
    All the old stator harness wires will match up with new CDI wires, except the stator ground wire (black) New stator/CDI uses eyelets-that ground on coil bracket.

You will need to bend the coil bracket to hold the new coil.

The 4010803 CDI is a "high start" CDI. People have had trouble setting the timing. The flywheel timing adjustment slots don't go far enough- you can make the slots longer . Other than that people have not reported any trouble using that CDI.

+1
    That's the first i've heard of setting the timing out of all the info i have read on here. How is that process done? The rest of the process of putting the old grommet on the wires and mounting the coil is not a problem. Really appreciate the help its amazing how much you can learn by searching this website. Props to who ever designed it

+1
    people use a timing light-just like on an older car. Mark the flywheel with a yellow crayon to help see the setting.

On the front of the flywheel ,there are 2 small screws that hold the plastic timing ring-with the flywheel off-make sure you can turn that ring. Turning it to the right advances the timing.

+1
    What should the timing be set too?

+1
    The original timing spec is 18 deg.
    The Hurricane and newer 700's used 20 deg

+1
    Thanks Casey67 Im going to tackle this project this week, All the information was very helpful. If ive got any more questions i will post them. The only reason im trying to do this is I have all these parts here might as well use them up. Oh ya and the polaris dealer told me the update kit is no longer available.

+1
    Yeah, and the update kit is really just the newer ignition system made to fit the older housing.

Thread Information