+1

ZXi1100 gauges and trim inop

I wanted to post this inorder to help someone else. I found several people over the last 10 years that have had this problem but only one person posted his fix. I got my ski back as a theft recovery after 10yrs. The hood was loose and the gauges/trim didn't work, so I assumed that the last guy who had it was trying to fix. I ordered a manual and got out my multi meter.

Symptom: Starts and runs, no gauge functions, no trim function. With key on, engine off, pushing the trim up/down button (cant remember which direction) a slight click could be heard inside the hull. Tracked it down to the trim controll unit 21175-3704, four connector, black box to the right of the steering head, inside the hull. Not to be confused with the oil/temp indicator control unit 21175-3701, two connector box that is slightly to the left of the steering head. The orange wire from the trim control unit supplies 12V to all the gauges and the gauge control unit. Mine had 0V.

Fix: I was going off an educated guess and the factory wiring diagram as Kawasaki supplies no trouble shooting chart for this. I found a new, 'used only to test a ski', trim control unit 21175-3704 on Ebay for $80, so I bought, stuck it in and everything works as normal. Kawi wants $260 for this part, I feel I got a good deal. That part number is only for the '96 model, '97 and up use 21175-3705 which is obsolete from the factory but there are a lot more of them on Ebay. I don't know if this one will interchange with the '96 or not.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks! Its frustrating searching the forums for an answer to a question, only to find out they never posted the fix!

+1
    Don't know why this thread was moved. It wasn't a question, it was posted as tech info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Don't know why this thread was moved. It wasn't a question, it was posted as tech info.
    Actually, it should be in the Tips section, but everybody asks questions there. I can't imagine a moderator actually moving a thread, but I wish they would!

+1
    It was Steve. Go look, one of the Mods moved almost all of the post.

+1
    Weird. I didn't think any moderators ever did anything in the Kawasaki section...

+1
    Maybe they were bored over the Christmas break.

Thread Information