Newbie with first PWC -- Yamaha 800 XLT

Just picked up my first PWC. I know 52 is a little old to be jumping into this hobby but better late than never, right? It's an '04 800 XLT with 78 hours on it. Got it from the original owner who upgraded to a new EFI 4 stroke.

The ski is in great shape, the guy kept it on a lift in his boat house during the summer and in his basement on the trailer during the winner. It is factory stock, but has been serviced and well maintained. He had the carbs cleaned just earlier this summer. It starts and runs great. The original owner ran the Super Tech 2-stroke oil with TC-W3 (he got it at Wally World and gave me a new gallon of it) and he did burn fuel with Ethanol sometimes.

Obviously since this is my first ski I'm pretty green but I've been reading here as much as I can and look forward to learning all about my new toy. However, in the meantime I'm open to all suggestions, pointers and advice you folks are willing to offer a newbie, especially when it comes to maintaining and keeping my new purchase trouble free.

I'll post a picture as soon as I figure it out!

+1
    One of its strengths can turn into a weakness. I am in the process of changing the piston and cylinder out of my nephew's XL800 because of an oil injection line.

Get an XLT800 book and take a look at the routeing of the 2 stroke oil injection lines that is delivered into the carbs. A common problem is that the lines fall off (at the carburetors) after a few seasons.

You have 1 of two choices:

Make sure that the lines are rerouted so that there is no strain on them that would cause them to be pulled off because of vibration and bounceing and re zip tie them to the carbs. It would be wise to clip about 1/4 inch off of the ends of the hose and reconnect. You can also get new hose at a small engine shop if they look brittle and cracked. Oil injection really is a strength, not to mention a lot cleaner to deal with. The injection system must be looked at and serviced from time to time though.

Remove the oil injection and go premixed using a 40:1 ratio.

The second option can be a bit extreem, but these earlier model boats with time have a tendency to develope this problem and you should really deal with it. If you loose a line, it could be a few minutes before it becomes a serious (and expensive) problem.

Otherwise, put good lube oil and keep fresh gas in it and it should run for a very long time.

Read up on sealing the pump shoe. This should help to minimize any cavitation that you might have and remember that you do not need a "pump plug kit", just some 3M 4200 to fill in all of the cracks and gaps on your pump shoe.

+1
    To add, install a D-plate and sensor.

If I read your post correctly, the original 2 stroke engine has been replaced with a 4 stroke engine? If so, you shouldn't have to worry about pre-mix or oil lines coming off. If it still has the 2 stroke engine then pay attention to what Salty says.

Sealing the pump shoe housing is a great idea, and while you're at it replace the intake grate too. A pump shoe plug kit can come in handy, as cavatation can cause problems with these PWCs. A plug kit can make the job a lot easier, and at $70 it's not too expensive. You'll need some 3M 5200 marine sealer to seal the pump shoe and the plug kit.

52 years isn't so bad, you're never too old to have fun. I didn't get into PWCs until I was 55!

good luck

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    If I read your post correctly, the original 2 stroke engine has been replaced with a 4 stroke engine? If so, you shouldn't have to worry about pre-mix or oil lines coming off. If it still has the 2 stroke engine then pay attention to what Salty says.

Sorry, wasn't clear in my original post but the Waverunner I bought is completely stock from bow to stern. The original owner bought a new 4 stroke waverunner and sold this one. No engine replacements.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, some great information. I've inspected both the oil and fuel lines and they look in excellent shape but I do plan to replace them over the winter just as preventive maintenance. Will read up on the pump shoe sealing/pump shoe kit, installing a D Plate & sensor and replacing the intake grate. Where do you guys recommend I purchase these parts/supplies?

My wife said she would like one of those fold down steps mounted on the back to make getting back on the ski easier. Any suggestions on which one to get or stay away from?

Thanks again for the help

Sorry, my mistake. You can find all of the parts you need on eBay, and usually w/o shipping charges. Also, just google the part and then compare prices. R&D Aquavein intake grate = $100, pump housing seal kit < $70.00. 3M 5200 = $20.00.

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

Took the new to me 800 XLT out yesterday and was very pleased with it. Ran great, handled great and is very fuel efficient. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

The original owner filled the oil tank with Super Tech TC-3W 2-stroke oil. Should I pump it out and replace it with the Yamaha 2W or am I good to go with the Super Tech for now? I tried to check the oil lines to the carb but could not see them. What do I need to remove to be able to inspect the oil injector lines on the carbs? I'd prefer not to premix so I want to keep a close eye on my oil injector lines.

+1
    I have same skis and looking up the same thing.

Thread Information