Electrical Box For 1996 Polaris SLX 780

I don't know what happened, but my son and I put the battery back in our 1996 Polaris SLX 780 and a few minutes later we had an electrical fire. The wires on the top of the electrical box are melted/burned. A mechanic said to search for a new electrical box with all the wires intact. I have had trouble located an intact electrical box w/ the wiring. A parts store in Northern California has an electrical box available from a 1996 SLT 780 (the three seater). He said it is compatible except it does not have a plug in for the trim control (since the 96 SLT does not have trim control). My question is, if I buy this SLT 780 electrical box w/ wires, will it be compatible to replace the shot one I have? It's about $200 so I don't want to waste my money if it won't work. Thanks in advance for your help.

Medina, Ohio, United States
    Welcome to the Hulk!

One of the key issues with some of the Polaris electrical box setups is that the housing is steel, and it is mounted on top of the battery. Your box likely contacted the open battery posts causing a dead short and the resulting electrical fire. The ski came from the factory with a plastic cover that must be installed over the battery before setting the electrical box on top of it.......

You should open up the electrical box, look inside, and assess the damage. Often times, this dead short will also cause the stator to fail, and will burn up the ground wire feeding the stator. Before you go buying a "complete" electrical box, you need to assess what is damaged and determine what you actually need.......

Where are you located??

Thread Information