RPMs are all over and it wont go....

Ok... My 97 GSX I bought a few weeks ago is acting up. I got it not running and fixed the corrosion on the wires and got it to run. After one ride it seems so not want to go past 5100 rpms with a 35 40 mph top speed and is will burst and surge all over. Like "whaaaa whaaa whaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa whaaaa whaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaa whaaa" (If you will) Then the longer i ride it it seems to get a bit wackier and bog more and go slower. Before all this it would hit 7000 rpms no problem. It will rev just fine on the hose but under load it will not go. Also gets worse when turning. Choke don't do anything just worsens the bog. I know the RAVE valves can be an issue but i removed them and it still did all this. They also seem to move up and down. I ran it without the seat, With out the spring and caps and nothing worked.. Help would be awesome. Thanks in advanced.

+1
    Sounds like your voltage regulator took a dump and it's over-volting. Put a digital meter on the battery and watch the voltage, then start it up and rev it to half throttle. If the voltage drops or climbs over 14 then it's bad. I'm betting yours is going over 16volts.

Thank you for the input. I will be sure to check that.

Checked the voltage. Its 12.1 not running. 11.0 cranking. And 12.8 running. I tried disconnecting the reguator and the battery. Same thing. no change. It seems to get worse the longer it runs.It will not break 5500 rpms with a load on it. I can get it on plane and hold 4200 rpms at about 30 and it seems ok and will surge above half throttle COLD. After running at half throttle and it gets HOT when you pin it it just goes to 3300 3500 rpms and bogs like hell and cant move. back down to 1/4 and then to 1/2 it will go back to 4300 rpms but anything above 4500 it falls on its face. I shut it down and let it sit no longer than 10 min to go get my trailer and it whet back to doing what it does cold no more than 5500 and will surge from 5500 to 4600 and just get lower and lower. 1/2 throttle and below it seem alright. Out of the water it will go all the way to the rev limiter. I cleaned the RAVE s and they move up and down.
    Last edited by Paresmotorsports; 07-19-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Because the cool kids do it.

+1
    Remove your carbys and clean them and put a genuine Mikuni rebuild Kit through them and set them up as per your manual. You keep running this engine with blocked carb internals and you will seize it

I guess will try that. Even though the plugs show slightly rich... It's so weird, When its cold it has short bust like it wants to go but doesn't. And it will hit the rev limiter out of the water with out a problem.. But I will most definitely try the carbs. I see the genuine rebuild kit is double the money.. I guess you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Paresmotorsports; 07-19-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Remove your carbys and clean them and put a genuine Mikuni rebuild Kit through them and set them up as per your manual. You keep running this engine with blocked carb internals and you will seize it
    Yep. That did the trick! Thanks. I ruled out carbs because it ran so perfect out of the water. The internal filters were PLUGGED from the old tempo lines (which are now gone.) So thanks for all the input. Once I cleaned them it was fine.

+1
    I dont even use the internal filters anymore once the hoses have been changed out because the fuel filter gets all of the larger particles that can block the carbs,every thing smaller than the filter screen will just get passed through the low speed jet (which is the smallest orifice)

Thread Information