MSX 150 Starting Issues (Clicking)

Well, here we go again. Have looked around for a bit but found no relatable post here or anywhere.

My ski is having issues starting. I hit the start button and only hear a single click, then nothing. Try again, same thing. Try again, same thing, etc. After hitting the start button like the 5th or 6th time though, (it clicks only once every time when it does not start) the ski will crank and fire right up. It will stay running and run awesome. Shut down the ski and same thing, it won't start for like the first 4 or 5 hits of the starter switch.

Beginning of the season last year I replaced the voltage regulator and this year I replaced the through-hull bearing and installed a brand new battery. I took the battery out today and my testing of the battery said it had 12.8 volts and the battery charger said it was 95% charged. It's an Interstate Battery AMG model (my mother's ski has the exact same battery and has been having no issues, same ski make and model).

I am leaning toward a loose wire somewhere, the starter solenoid or relay or whatever it is right next to the ECU might be going bad, or the starter itself may be going bad. It just started doing this within the last week, other than that the ski has be running really well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

+1
    Check your grounds. Make sure all 3 (or 4?) ground wires that bolt together on the rear of the intake are clean and snug together.

Does sounds like the starter relay. The brown double post thing next to the ECU. I believe this is the same one the MSX 140 uses and I recall that there was a starter solenoid replacement bulletin?? I'm not positive if the '04s have a newer style or not relay.

Lastly, pull the connectors on the ECU and make sure all the pins are straight, clean and no corrosion.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Well, here we go again. Have looked around for a bit but found no relatable post here or anywhere.

My ski is having issues starting. I hit the start button and only hear a single click, then nothing. Try again, same thing. Try again, same thing, etc. After hitting the start button like the 5th or 6th time though, (it clicks only once every time when it does not start) the ski will crank and fire right up. It will stay running and run awesome. Shut down the ski and same thing, it won't start for like the first 4 or 5 hits of the starter switch.

Beginning of the season last year I replaced the voltage regulator and this year I replaced the through-hull bearing and installed a brand new battery. I took the battery out today and my testing of the battery said it had 12.8 volts and the battery charger said it was 95% charged. It's an Interstate Battery AMG model (my mother's ski has the exact same battery and has been having no issues, same ski make and model).

I am leaning toward a loose wire somewhere, the starter solenoid or relay or whatever it is right next to the ECU might be going bad, or the starter itself may be going bad. It just started doing this within the last week, other than that the ski has be running really well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

my ski is doing the same thing...did you figure anything out???

same problem on MSX 140

Quote Originally Posted by nicarchie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

my ski is doing the same thing...did you figure anything out???
    Hi All, any more info on this?? I have an MSX 140 with same problem, but mine won't start at all! could the starter gear be jammed or something? i've tried tapping the starter motor, no luck. can feel clicking coming from the starter motor too. i have an 2004 model. should my starter relay be good?

+1
    Welcome to GH OdinZ!

The most common issue is a weak battery or loose ground. Check those first.

Does the engine turn over by hand? I.E. not seized. Pull the plugs out (makes turnover easier) and try to turn the driveshaft coupler to see if you can rotate the crankshaft. This will ensure that nothing is binding (stuck/jammed starter or bendix).

If the engine spins over, you can rule out the starter relay (two pole brown thing next to ECU above battery)... by carefully jumping a screwdriver or something across the poles. This will bypass the relay and send power to the starter. So the starter should spin. If not... then bad starter. If it does crank the engine over... the possibly bad starter relay or starter switch (wiring).

Cheers!

+1
    I have a similar issue on my machine.
    2004 MSX 150
    Battery is good.
    System is charging battery.
    30some hrs on machine.
    When go to start just click(was sometimes but now always)

in reading posts I tried checking a few things and figured it would be the starter relay. As soon as I would jump the two poles it would crank right away. I was reading about it and looking to order parts but wanted to go back out and check the grounds on the block. That night my daughter got sick and that put a damper on me working on machine and forgot to put a wrench on grounds in the morning.

My question to you is can the loose grounds cause this same issue or do you think it's a bad relay? It will be a week or two before I can get back out to lake so would like to order the relay if the possible bad ground dosnt play a part.

Thanks

Thread Information