Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

FZS Wear Ring Failure at 7 Hours!

So I had another post about a bad cavitation I started having at about 7 hours on my new FZS. Turns out the wear ring is destroyed. I never sucked in anything to my knowledge or beached the ski. Took it to Yamaha and they tried to tell me that wear rings are not covered under warranty. For a wear ring to fail like this in 7 hours on a $14,000 ski is crazy. Both my GPR and Raider are on original wear rings and are ridden the same way/in the same places. They are telling me is about a $400 job and have the part in stock. I told them to do it and have Yamaha call me on the warranty. The whole reason I bought a new ski is so I wouldn't have to mess with it. Anyone else have this issue?

+1
    Hate to say it but I bet you sucked something through the pump. Have put hundreds of hours on these skis and haven't had more than minor wear.

3. +1 by:

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1
    What do you mean by failed? What actually happened? How old is the ski? Skis with low hours but that are a few years old can have the wear ring swell from the corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1
    Nvm I see that it is a 2013. Unless there is compelling evidence that it was caused by neglect or from ingesting something it should be covered for customer satisfaction.

+1
    Brand new ski. I just bought it a couple weeks ago. Impeller has one tiny nick. Everything else looks fine. No evidence of anything wrapping itself around the driveshaft and no damage to the pump housing that I can see. I rode it all day at a lake last Sunday without issues. Flushed it and put it away until I took it out Wednesday in Raritan Baywhich is when it started doing it. Rode it down in Seaside yesterday and it got worse and worse.

+1
    A 7 hr prop shouldent have any nics in it at all. Something put the nics there.

8. +1 by:

+1
    +1 not Yamahas fault you sucked something up. Shit happens

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE FAB View Post
    A 7 hr prop shouldent have any nics in it at all. Something put the nics there.

+1
    Wear rings last several hours . I have put 300-400 hours on a wear ring easly w/o any problems. However a small nick in a prop causes cavation bubbles in the water and that in turn causes burning pits in the wear ring. Can you post pictures of your prop and wear ring damage. Also while the nick in the prop might look small the eye another thing is this nick might of bent the blade out of shape which is causing the cavation since one of the blades is out of pitch to the other two. Don't just put a new wear ring on there and not have some one inspect the prop for possible blade distortion! You might just destroy another wear ring. Tommy Jordan

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    yes, without pics, this thread is uselss.

I've seen pumps that have had various things go thru them with expected caranage. i"ve seen lots of wear rings damaged by tow ropes, surprsiing how fast friction can heat up a wear ring that is submereged when te engine is running 7k rpm.

A couple of years back one of my customers got a half empty airline vodka bottle jammed up in his prop..that aluminum cap tor the crap out of everything shame the bottle was empty when I got it out..talk about shaken and not stirred....

+1
    Before you pay the dealer $500 you should look in the classifieds, there's a couple in there pretty dang cheap and changing the impeller housing is pretty easy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information