Thread: FNG

FNG

Hey Guys (I mean guys in a non-gender specific way), I'm new to GreenHulk and I'm hoping everyone can offer a PWC virgin some assistance. I have a 14 year old son who is begging for a PWC and I wouldn't mind having one myself. I am thinking about "jumping in" but with used PWCs instead of new ones. I'm hoping to get some good advice because I don't even know where to start and don't want to get ripped off buying some machine(s) that need more work than the purchase price. I will appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk.
    Buying anything used is always a crap shoot.

+1
    I guess we can start with your riding environment. Is it going to be lake, river, ocean? All of the above?

I have access to Rivers, Lakes and the Ocean.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer Bear View Post
    I have access to Rivers, Lakes and the Ocean.
    other things to consider. What are you looking for in a pwc? Speed, reliability, stability, 2 seater, 3 seater, supercharged, naturally aspirated, or good ol two strokes, budget constraints, etc. other than that, I would go to the dealership and see what they have available. They usually have used in the back lot. Some will even load up a few and take them to the water for you to try out if you are a serious buyer. In the end it's what fits you best. They all have their good and bad things about them just like cars.

+1
    Well, heres my advice for anyone looking to buy a "boat" . BOAT= Bust out another Thousand. Really, and im not saying that to be ridiculous, its just that they take maintenance. and if they dont have maintenance, they cost another thousand. sometimes the maintenance is another thousand. so if you cant stomach the thought of that, probably shouldnt buy a boat, or at least buy one new with a warranty and service plan.
    Thats not to discourage you, its just how it is.

That being said, It depends on your budget. Buy the best most powerful that you can afford or are comfortable with, or you will always regret not getting that "other" one you looked at, or that new one in the showroom.

If your buying used, try to stay 5 years or newer or thereabouts, and make sur ethe previous owner performed maintenance on the ski. basic stuff, like flushing, oil changes, periodic maintenance, cleaning, etc.

if your buying new, a lot of the "entry" level skis, provide quite a ton of bang for the buck, and they are nice to have. solid, bulletproof machines.

+1
    We just went through this. The guys here were very helpful in this thread. I'm sure that some of your questions were answered there, check it out--it's free!

I see you're from the Gulf Coast. Which section?

Thanks for all the replies... I do find all the advice helpful. I moved to Zachary, LA (about 25 miles north of Baton Rouge). I put Gulf Coast because I still have family in Mobile and Fairhope, AL, and visit quiet often.

I can afford the maintenance but wanted to start off with used crafts as trainers. I'm sure my 14 year old and friends will beat the hell out of these things and it want bother me so much with used and cheaper units while they learn how to operate them.

Also interested in what parts should be inspected and inspection methods. I've had limited exposure to these while on vacation which is pay, ride and give back.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thread Information