2002 Genesis I 1200 Loss of Power

I have a a 2002 Genesis with the FFI. My wife was pulling me wakeboarding and said as she was starting to pull me out of the water she felt a loss of power. I then drove the ski and it does not come out of the hole as fast as it previously had and lost about 8-10 mph top end on the Speedo.
    I changed plugs, checked compression (125 all 3 cylinders), and switched out injectors / computer with another known good set. The ski had no change in performance.
    What else should I check? Could it be something with the jet pump?

Thanks for any advice.

Banned User
    +1
    I would check fuel pressure to make sure the regulator didnt fall off in the tank. Sounds exactly like what you are describing.

I checked the fuel pressure and it was zero. I opened up the fuel tank and sure enough the regulator had fallen off. I repaired the regulator and I checked the fuel pressure again. The pressure was around 30 psi. I took it to the lake and had the same experience top speed 45 on gps and only 6000 rpms. I got back and verified fuel pressure and that the regulator was still in place, which were both good.

I figured the regulator with fix the problem after I saw it laying in the bottom of the tank. I appreciate the help. Any other suggestions?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Possible TPS failure / throttle adjustment issue.

I checked throttle adjustment and it was ok. I replaced the TPS about 25 hours ago with a honeywell new updated one. How prone are the new designed molded honeywell tps to failure? There are no codes stored in EMM. Is it worth buying another TPS to check?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    30 PSI fuel pressure sounds high. Should be more like 23PSI, and jumps to around 30 PSI when the fuel return hose is clamped flat.

Which style of TPS is on this engine, pigtail or non-pigtail?

I have the new pigtail molded design.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 440/650 View Post
    I have the new pigtail molded design.
    I am not aware of any significant failure rate with the newest versions of the pigtail TPS.

That said, any part can fail, even new.

Replaced TPS with Brand New one and still the same results. I checked compression again and it was 125 -125 -120. Any other suggestions? Could it be the pump? I have put a lot of money into this ski and everytime I think that I am going to have a reliable ski something else breaks. I maintain all my watercrafts yearly and don't have near problems with others.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 440/650 View Post
    Replaced TPS with Brand New one and still the same results. I checked compression again and it was 125 -125 -120. Any other suggestions? Could it be the pump? I have put a lot of money into this ski and everytime I think that I am going to have a reliable ski something else breaks. I maintain all my watercrafts yearly and don't have near problems with others.
    Which spark plugs were installed?

I suspect that either the EMM has a problem, or something around the EMM has a problem.

Around the EMM;
    Ohm check the exhaust and air temperature sensors. should be right around 1,000 ohms each
    Ohm check the CPS sensor.
    Remove the CPS sensor and check for signs of metal debris. Sensor tip should be clean and undamaged.
    Ohm check the ignition coils and spark plug wires.
    Check or remove and clean the grounding bolt on each ignition coil. If there is corrosion present clean to bare metal and reassemble.
    Also check each connector for corrosion, damaged pins, etc.

Mechanical
    Make sure the throttle cable has the correct slack at idle, and is also fully opening the throttle shaft at full squeeze.

Recheck fuel pressure. If it really is 30 PSI, then the regulator may be stuck closed. The fuel system requires fuel circulation to not only purge air from the fuel system but also to cool the injectors.

While it seems unlikely to be the cause, you could remove the jet pump and confirm smooth bearing operation of the impeller. no play or slop, no gritty sound or feel when rotating the impeller. Also look for exces blade clearance to the wear ring, or damage to any blades ar vanes.

There is a method for reading any service trouble codes from the EMM. See the Ficht section from my signature links for the Simple LED code reading tool.

Thread Information