Stock vx cavitation and prop spin. Whats the deal?

Hey guys,
    A friend of mine has 2 2012 or 2011 vx wavrunners. These things stock barely want to get going when under full power. the other day with 3 people on one and at WOT we were only going 7-8 MPH. I have owned MANY seadoo's for years and when the pumps are in good working condition and the wear rings are new they can jump off the line. These yamahas are BRAND NEW and act like there is no wear ring. Can you guys give me some advice to try and get these things going faster off the line? Is this normal for yamaha skis. They feel like they are broken when they are stock and brand new. My friend owns 3 of of these all the same and he said they have behaved the same from the first time they were ever in the water.
    Thanks

Of the 20+ vx's ive either broken in or put 500+ hours on, ive never heard of this issue and wouldnt assume that they are supposed to behave like this. There is a chance that a rope got sucked in the impeller and is wrapped about the shaft. Something is causing it cavitate, you need to get under and REALLY look to see, or pull the pump off. It never hurts to get familiar with your ski, after a few times of removing the impeller housing, youll be able to pull the pump in 5-10 minuets. Post up what you find out

+1
    Check the clearance to the wear ring. My 2013 FZS failed at 7 hours. I got it covered under warranty. Was a factory defect.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93t View Post
    Check the clearance to the wear ring. My 2013 FZS failed at 7 hours. I got it covered under warranty. Was a factory defect.
    The damaged prop came like that from the factory?

I'm pulling the pumps now. Wear ring clearance looks good, prop looks good. Are these pumps sealed with gaskets or "glue"? I'm wondering if there is some kind of massive air leak. I know a lot about seadoos i've been working on them for around 10 years, but these yamahas are a mystery to me. I was towing one VX with another and couldn't get over 5mph, I switched skis and same thing, still 5-7 mph. The hole shots are slow, like the "clutch" is slipping. My friend has three of these vx'x with about 100 hours on each and he says they have only gotten "slightly" worse than when they were brand new. Thanks for the help everybody, I'm getting very frusterated but i'm sure sombody out there with tons of yamaha knowledge can help me out.

ok got it torn down and i'm almost certain its all the voids in the ride plate intake grate etc.... Rather than buy the pump seal kit has anybody sealed the pump with a homemade kit?

What kind if sealant is used on the pump? it looks like silicone but i;m assuming its not.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93t View Post
    The damaged prop came like that from the factory?
    The service advisor told me that it was a factory defect. Something minor probably got sucked through the pump that shouldn't have damaged it, but it did. Said the new materials they are using don't seem to hold up like the old stuff. I got the prop and wear ring under warranty.

+1
    I'm not sure on the VX, but the older yamahas had felt/foam inserts in the pump shoe area that would over time deteriorate and fall out, causing massive cavitation. That's where the aftermarket pump seal kits came into play. The FZS doesn't have inserts like this, but a pump seal kit still helps. That being said, you should not be cavitating like this on a nearly new ski. What was the prop to wear ring clearance? Should be less than the thickness of 2 business cards.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130720_153758.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	307464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130720_153743.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	307465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130720_153818.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	307466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130713_190742.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	307467
    This was my wear ring after 7 hours. The last pic was of it new.

Thread Information