+1

Ring gap is larger then spec anyone !

Hey guys I'm putting wisecos in my 951 and the math says a 3.503 piston should have a .014 end gap well I have .018-.019 I know some people run them a bit looser for heat but is the .005 a problem ?

+1

ring gap

Quote Originally Posted by Jdmcrx View Post
    Hey guys I'm putting wisecos in my 951 and the math says a 3.503 piston should have a .014 end gap well I have .018-.019 I know some people run them a bit looser for heat but is the .005 a problem ?
    Damn !! No one even responded to this one weird..
    Well I can tell you, that is what Wiseco says is there minimum,,,,,,,, but mods should increase this head work, pipes, porting etc. this also applys to just being a watercraft so its better to have to much than not enough.

This is on the Wiseco site

A. Wiseco 2-cycle Powersports piston rings are designed with the proper end gap for most applications. However, Wiseco does recommend verifying the ring end gap when assembling your engine, as the end gap can affect the engine working properly if not set correctly. As a general rule, most engines will require .004" per inch of bore diameter for intended ring end gap minimum. More extreme engine applications, where the piston and ring will experience excessive heat, it is recommended to use .005" per inch of bore diameter ring end gap minimum. Generally, when measuring ring end gap, it is most always better to have too much than too little; a tight ring end gap can potentially cause the ring ends to touch during operation, which may cause a failure. Some marine and snowmobile engines do require additional clearance, so Wiseco does recommend additional allowance for these applications. See your Wiseco piston installation instructions included with the piston kit for more detail.

Thread Information