Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cavitation - What exactly is it? Noob needs exlpanation

It seems like every other thread on here has some mention of cavitation. What exactly is it? What causes it? I searched and went 3 or 4 pages deep but didn't really come up with an answer. I understand the basic principle that it is air going through the impeller. As I skip across the chop, I occasionally leave the water and you can hear the motor free rev for 1/2 of a second. Is that the air causing cavitation or is that just leaving the water? Same thing happens if I just floor it from a standing start. It lifts itself right up and out of the water and free revs for 1/2 second. Is that causing any damage? That is something I could fairly easily avoid.

it happens alot skipping across waves or holeshoting.when the pressure in the pump rapidly lowers the cavities in the lower pressure are extracted by the impeller in the form of hot air bubbles.when they are drawn through the jet pump they often leave behind burns on the impeller and pump.cavitation isnt competely coming unhooked its a pressure drop that causes you to process hot air cavities through the pump.

Thanks for the explanation! I guess I won't be hammering the whoops when I go through the chop anymore.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Its basically like spinning your tires on a your car...... if you are getting a lot of cavitation on take off there is a problem in the pump area some where.....either prop is wore down or damaged, or you have air getting in there from some where.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Its basically like spinning your tires on a your car...... if you are getting a lot of cavitation on take off there is a problem in the pump area some where.....either prop is wore down or damaged, or you have air getting in there from some where.....
    Or you have to much horsepower

+1
    Hes on a VXr.....unless he went Turbo he shouldnt have a lot of cavitation on take off.....

+1
    Rereading the OP....theres tricks to launching a ski with out it coming out of the water....and theres a lot to be said about throttle control going through the chop.....It sounds more like you are just hammering on the ski and not letting off the throttle when you are coming unhooked....

Its brand new. It did it from the beginning. Floor it and it stands right up. I only did it a couple of times. I ease into the throttle for the most part. I think I'm up to like 7.5 hours.

+1
    I always gun it. It's a hard habit to break. It's so fun just hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Rereading the OP....theres tricks to launching a ski with out it coming out of the water....and theres a lot to be said about throttle control going through the chop.....It sounds more like you are just hammering on the ski and not letting off the throttle when you are coming unhooked....
    I don't stay on it when it happens. I guess its kind of written like I do this all day long. In reality its been 3-4 times total and for launching maybe the first 2 times I tried launching. I don't have enough time on it yet to ride it like I stole it These are just PWC specific things I want to understand before I cause unnecessary wear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information