Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Blown head gasket!! Help

Im almost certain that i have a blown head gasket but i would like some opinions. I went to the lake the other day and after a couple of runs at high rpms notice that the coolant canister was empty. I know this is a blown head gasket symptom, i also have a heat exchanger setup and i was wondering if one of the coolant lines could of been leaking when pressure build up? Before i pull the head off i want to make the gasket is blown! By the way no coolant in oil nor spark plugs.

You need to pressure test your cooling system. If you are loosing pressure you need to find where. Sometimes a spray bottle with soap and water can help if its external. If you have a slow coolant leak and its mixing with the oil, the water in the coolant can evaporate from the engines temp (and show no real signs of mixing with the oil)and leave a clear jelly like substance--inspect your oil filter closely for this. A prime candidate for this would be the water pump and oil pump shaft seal. Maybe jumping the gun with the above. First things first.....pressurize your cooling system and go from there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    You need to pressure test your cooling system. If you are loosing pressure you need to find where. Sometimes a spray bottle with soap and water can help if its external. If you have a slow coolant leak and its mixing with the oil, the water in the coolant can evaporate from the engines temp (and show no real signs of mixing with the oil)and leave a clear jelly like substance--inspect your oil filter closely for this. A prime candidate for this would be the water pump and oil pump shaft seal. Maybe jumping the gun with the above. First things first.....pressurize your cooling system and go from there.
    How can i pressurize the cooling system?

You will need something like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiato...kit-69258.html

I am not sure if the correct fitting for the sea Doo coolant bottles is included in this kit as I have the OEM test adaptor that I use with my pressure/ vacuum pump. I do not know the part number for the OEM adaptor off hand but if you needit, I will check my shop manual in the morning for you. I guess once you have the correct adaptor, any pump with a pressure guage can be adapted to work. The test psi is right around 14 psi I think.

+1
    Just tape a bottle onto end of overflow pipe, if it fills up, head gasket blown!

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tocullo View Post
    Im almost certain that i have a blown head gasket but i would like some opinions. I went to the lake the other day and after a couple of runs at high rpms notice that the coolant canister was empty. I know this is a blown head gasket symptom, i also have a heat exchanger setup and i was wondering if one of the coolant lines could of been leaking when pressure build up? Before i pull the head off i want to make the gasket is blown! By the way no coolant in oil nor spark plugs.
    are u using brass, or plastic fittings for the HX?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    You will need something like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiato...kit-69258.html

I am not sure if the correct fitting for the sea Doo coolant bottles is included in this kit as I have the OEM test adaptor that I use with my pressure/ vacuum pump. I do not know the part number for the OEM adaptor off hand but if you needit, I will check my shop manual in the morning for you. I guess once you have the correct adaptor, any pump with a pressure guage can be adapted to work. The test psi is right around 14 psi I think.
    Great, thanks for the help. Now if the head gasket is blown which i know is going to be the case with my luck! Lol is there anything in peticular that i should do other than replacing the gasket?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tocullo View Post
    are u using brass, or plastic fittings for the HX?
    Brass and freaking expensive ones!! Lol The two for the coolant hoses were very hard to find!

Use new stretch bolts and proper torque/sequences.

Did you have any overheating? If so, maybe have your head checked to be sure it's true?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiepauly View Post
    Just tape a bottle onto end of overflow pipe, if it fills up, head gasket blown!
    Sounds like a good idea! I just hate to drive 15 miles to the lake to do this. I was looking for alternatives?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information