Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Busted my RXPX 260..... again!

Hi guys,

Yep, it fucking happened again. This time different cylinder. Low compression at 100, and 60% on the leak down. Can hear bubbling thru dipstick hole. So my engine is coming out again!! FML

Anyone else having these kind of dramas? Mod list as follows:

Vtech injectors 1100
    Vtech tune VT 11 8650 with extra fueling added by Jonatan
    4 inch air and catch can
    ET 137 +4mm
    Riva waterbox & thru hull, Gen 3 and solid pipes, Fuel reg set at 61 static
    Titanium retainers
    Ferrea valves
    Carillo pistons
    R&D intake grate & tabs
    Innovate AFR & boost gauge
    Solas 15/20R
    Balanced crank
    Running 98 octane fuel

I was running at 8650, WOT at 11.8 - 12.1 on the AFR, and seeing between 14.2 - 15.4 psi on the boost gauge, but only 77 - 78 mph.

Going to start pulling the engine Monday afternoon. But i want to not only fix whats broken, i need to fix the cause!

Could it be the stock fuel pump isn't quite pumping enough? it was the end cylinder that went, last on the fuel rail

Could it be a dodgy Vtech injector? (I had them cleaned and flowed after last time, but the shop did say they struggled to run at there full potential due to the size of them, but they matched them at the flow rate that they could produce)

Is the timing too advanced in the tune?

On the limiter too much?

Any help, advice, similar issues or stories, please list below!!
    Thanks in advance fellas

+1
    Wow that sucks.

+1
    Shit mate not again?? you must be on that limiter a lot running that 15/20 with those mods! Are you using the logger? What engine temps you seeing? Put in a cooler thermo when you get the engine out!

+1
    no logger. engine temp bout 89 C.
    I actually am running a repitched solas 15/21 prop from james masterson now. forgot that.

ski has only 42 hours, 10 since previous rebuild

+1
    Well count that out, same as mine!
    I would be logging if I were you mate! I have made a lot of adjustments lately from weird shit picked up in the tune!!

+1
    Fueling by afr's look good if I had to guess obviously your getting blowby (compression in crankcase). I'm going to say make sure you really check ring gap and also get a bore gauge on that cylinder. When you pull that head see if you can rock and of those pistons before you pull them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by C Doo View Post
    Anyone else having these kind of dramas?
    Yes.

I'm still shaken by my 3 hour meltdown on cylinder #1. 3 months ago, I found the aluminum in the oil filter - then tore it down to find the piston skirt had grabbed the cylinder wall. That was after I fucked a whole set of CPs 20 hours in... I finally got it back together, went back to stage II and after replacing the piston I went for an easy break-in, only to come home to find metal shavings in my oil filter, again today. WTF? In each scenario my tune looked more than SAFE!~

Dude - you are not alone. I'm hoping your thread can help figure out WTF is going on! IMO it's either the pistons, or the AFR guage. Although I'm leaning heavily toward the pistons because when I had my meltdowns I was running very rich.

What innovate AFR product are you running?

Could it be the stock fuel pump isn't quite pumping enough? it was the end cylinder that went, last on the fuel rail
    I thought the same thing and replaced my stock pump with a Genuine Walbro Fuel Pump from Summit. The pump made a huge difference on the AFR gauge, but piston #1 still grabbed. My machinist and I are perplexed - and he couldn't come up with an answer for it, although a buddy at his shop claimed it was caused by the restrictive 90deg elbow on the fuel rail? IDK And the comments I've read say that the stock fuel rail works fine to fuel the last injector?

Could it be a dodgy Vtech injector? (I had them cleaned and flowed after last time, but the shop did say they struggled to run at there full potential due to the size of them, but they matched them at the flow rate that they could produce)
    I thought the same thing and took my injectors to Dr. Injector to have them tested. When I left the guy told me to let him know what caused the meltdown when I figure it out. Your injectors are fine IMO.

Is the timing too advanced in the tune?

On the limiter too much?
    I'm going to say NO and NO. Again I thought the same thing. I even went as far as trading my Riva ECU for a stocker. To NO avail.

Well, PM me when you figure this out. I'm tired of buying pistons.

Thanks,

Craigo
    Last edited by Craigo; 07-20-2013 at 12:13 AM.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Hey, Here's an idea.........BUY IT, RIDE IT and leave all that other bullshit off of it... jmo that's all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Hey, Here's an idea.........BUY IT, RIDE IT and leave all that other bullshit off of it... jmo that's all.
    Thats just boring!

I hope you get it figured out. I am running nearly the exact same setup now!

+1
    Its not realy hard to work out ....

Aggressive timing , high ish boost and number 1 cylinder being the last on stock fuel rail least amout of fuel of the 3 cylinders and cops the most air runs the leanest ...

AFR O2 sensor needs to be calibrated regularly to keep it accurate for climate and weather changes ..

So when u think u are seeing 12 AFR average of all 3 cylinders , number 1 may be more likely 12.5 ish ...

So after holding it full noise at CC racing for 15 minutes , takes it toll on the cylinder ...

But over all , lets see what happens when it's apart ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information