2013 VXR Hard Starting???

Just got my VXR back from the 10 hour service, ran great. We took it out today 3 miles offshore to a lighthouse and anchored up while snorkeling. Had some pretty big breakers coming over the reef 6-8 foot rolling waves. The ski was anchored for about a hour. When I went to fire it up I gave the start button two short hits and It didn't start. Gave it a little throttle and it started right up. Ran great all the way in, would start normal with no throttle. When I got home to flush the ski it did the same thing and wanted alittle throttle to start. I know water can enter the engine if the ski is towed without the engine running, is it possible it took on water from the current and being anchored? I rode it hard and had some ruff landings on the way out may have shook something loose? Just curious if anyone has had something similar happen to them, maybe its nothing. Any advice is appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keylife View Post
    Just got my VXR back from the 10 hour service, ran great. We took it out today 3 miles offshore to a lighthouse and anchored up while snorkeling. Had some pretty big breakers coming over the reef 6-8 foot rolling waves. The ski was anchored for about a hour. When I went to fire it up I gave the start button two short hits and It didn't start. Gave it a little throttle and it started right up. Ran great all the way in, would start normal with no throttle. When I got home to flush the ski it did the same thing and wanted alittle throttle to start. I know water can enter the engine if the ski is towed without the engine running, is it possible it took on water from the current and being anchored? I rode it hard and had some ruff landings on the way out may have shook something loose? Just curious if anyone has had something similar happen to them, maybe its nothing. Any advice is appreciated.
    Check your battery. There seems to be alot of hard startings going on with these yamaha batteries being the culprit. Worth a shot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Check your battery. There seems to be alot of hard startings going on with these yamaha batteries being the culprit. Worth a shot.
    Oh or bad gas...

Fresh non ethanol in the tank, I will check the battery connections. Thank you

+1
    Fresh non ethanol in the tank, I will check the battery connections. Thank you
    87 octane?

We have 90 octane rec gas down here in the keys

+1
    I'm no expert but sometimes difference in octane gives me problems when I fill up using anything higher then 87

Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    I'm no expert but sometimes difference in octane gives me problems when I fill up using anything higher then 87
    Thank you for all your help, fired up normal this morning. Battery connections and voltage are good. No water in the oil, I'm going take it out and I will post If the problem comes back.

I've found that unplugging the three connectors that go into the ecu and making sure they are dry has made a difference, with these strange gremlins that like to show up intermittently. Also the 5 that go into the fuse box should be checked as well. New plugs always help, and even tho they might have just replaced them, it can make a difference. Especially if one or more gets gas fouled. Cr9eb , buy 8 of them to keep a backup set for your ski.

Thread Information