2000 yamaha xl1200 exhaust sensor going off but......

Hey Guys,

Ok so I was out today riding my xl1200 and everything was fine and then all of a sudden the warning light and beeping came on saying my exhaust temp was high. I was about 1/4 mile from camp and drove slower home. As soon as I got there I took the seats off and felt the exhaust, every where on it, even the metal part, and the rest of the engine and block. Everything was cool, I wouldnt even say warm, but very cool to touch. I live In Az and it was 108 out and the water is about 78 degrees. I even checked the water coming out the "pee" hole in the back and the water was cool. My wife checked the water coming out the front starboard side and she said it was warm but fine to touch. So whats the problem you guys think? Could it be just a bad sensor? What is that sensor even for anyways? Any good way to check it? thanks for any help guys..............

Ok update. I went out and took a look and the exhaust sensor is disconnected because of the D plate and chip that the first owner installed. So how is my exhaust temp sensor sensing that its hot or what not if it isnt even plugged in? What do you guys think ?
    Last edited by Redline85338; 07-20-2013 at 03:30 AM.

it was beeping, because of a lack of signal

It has been unplugged for years now, so why would it all of a sudden start beeping because of a lack of signal ? Did something break or go bad? So how would I fix the beeping then? Plug it in anyways, but I dont think its attached in side the box..........

I know is a completely different ski, but let me tell you what happened to me recently with an exhaust sensor issue..

07gti seadoo...Skis over heating and throwing and exhaust code. I drive it a bit more, stays hot and gets hotter. I shut off for 10 minuets, it starts up and drives fine. A few minuets later it beeps again, then right as im about to shut it off POW!!!!Tons of smoke starts bellowing out of the ski, like its on fire..i smelled like plastic for days. Apparently, the ehaust system got so how that the sensor melted and blew apart, and the exact same moment the muffler blew a hole the size of a grape fruit.

Long story short, after fixing the muffler and replacing the sensor, the ski STILL overheated. And im stumped, for days. The ski sits on the docks like its a lame duck..I start looking for a seadoo mechanic with zero luck. Spent a few more days on the dock and i just get frustrated and start pulling everything apart and it turns out, the impeller pump housing was completely shattered in half, causing the cooling lines that normally met up and press against the through hull fittings to be blocked off. Turns out there is a little chunk of coral the size of your thumb tip and it ripped apart the housing.

All in all, i dont know jack about your exact ski, but what i can say, is to look in the least likely spot and you might find something. Considering the pump housing is part of the cooling system i would have assumed you already checked it. But it wasnt untill i REALLY REALLY looked, that i could see the crack.

Good luck and i hope you find your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    I know is a completely different ski, but let me tell you what happened to me recently with an exhaust sensor issue..

07gti seadoo...Skis over heating and throwing and exhaust code. I drive it a bit more, stays hot and gets hotter. I shut off for 10 minuets, it starts up and drives fine. A few minuets later it beeps again, then right as im about to shut it off POW!!!!Tons of smoke starts bellowing out of the ski, like its on fire..i smelled like plastic for days. Apparently, the ehaust system got so how that the sensor melted and blew apart, and the exact same moment the muffler blew a hole the size of a grape fruit.

Long story short, after fixing the muffler and replacing the sensor, the ski STILL overheated. And im stumped, for days. The ski sits on the docks like its a lame duck..I start looking for a seadoo mechanic with zero luck. Spent a few more days on the dock and i just get frustrated and start pulling everything apart and it turns out, the impeller pump housing was completely shattered in half, causing the cooling lines that normally met up and press against the through hull fittings to be blocked off. Turns out there is a little chunk of coral the size of your thumb tip and it ripped apart the housing.

All in all, i dont know jack about your exact ski, but what i can say, is to look in the least likely spot and you might find something. Considering the pump housing is part of the cooling system i would have assumed you already checked it. But it wasnt untill i REALLY REALLY looked, that i could see the crack.

Good luck and i hope you find your issue.
    Damn man. sorry to see that.....

But I did go and talk to my ski guy and he said check the ohm's on my chip. So i go to my ski and the chip should be in the harness that would originally plug into the exhaust plug right? There is no chip there. Did it fall out or is there another place to install it?

Thread Information