Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Reliability Stock vs Modded

I read a lot of posts about problems with the SeaDoo's that have been modded in one way or another....maybe some with a lot of mods. The blown head gaskets, pump seals leaking, hulls filling up with water either from just sitting for a while or while running....you get the idea.

Do the stock skis have these kind of problems also?

When I finally do get around to getting a couple skis the last thing I want to be doing is wondering why my ski is in the shop all the time and not under my butt in the water!!!

Cya

+1
    Keep it stock.. There is a level of mods that you can have with no issues but the more hp the more the things to worry about. It's all in maintenance actually.

+1
    So...keeping it stock is the key in reliability, right?

With that in mind what maintenance do you speak of?

Cya

+1
    Once u pushing over 75 mph+++ ... The maintance level increases ...

You can make a very reliable fast 75mph ski ...

+1
    Make sure to check hoses and clamps, change oil, spark plugs and don't always drive like there no tomorrow ..! And if you don't know how to fix something..don't touch it, let someone who knows do it.

I elected to get a CMD to get the stock AFRs dialed into a more reasonable level on my 2012. The throttle response got way better as a result. I may change out the intercooler to one larger and better built than the stock one. I plan to keep the rpm down to help keep the motor loads down to something reasonable. My stock ski is pulling 8200 as it pulls up thru 60 and then the DBW pulls back to 60% and the rpm settles in at 8060. Perfect

My throttle response now goes from a dead stopped idle to 7000 rpm in .6 sec on a throttle stab. A true 0-60 MPH happens in 5 sec.

Andy

+1
    So keeping it stock with very little if any mods and doing the basic maintenance should yield me a reliable turn key ski...I hope. Does the clutch on the 100-200hr supercharger do "ok" in normal riding....I guess I'm wondering about the loading/unloading of the pump in light to medium and sometimes heavy chop riding.

I really do like the styling and features of the seadoo ski but with my weight (300lbs) I think I really do need a supercharged ski but if I'm always facing higher maintenance and the high possibility of blowing a supercharger and ruining a motor I'm looking to a Yamaha VXR/S.

Cya

+1
    A very reliable ski is a well maintained ski ! Know your ski and what everything is... I have a stage 3 + 83+ mph ski and its turn key. I trust it.. Why? Because I know it because I built it.... If you maintain your ski no matter what level of mods it will be reliable. Just my 2 cents

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbullet View Post
    A very reliable ski is a well maintained ski ! Know your ski and what everything is... I have a stage 3 + 83+ mph ski and its turn key. I trust it.. Why? Because I know it because I built it.... If you maintain your ski no matter what level of mods it will be reliable. Just my 2 cents
    Good point!!!

Cya

+1
    Bolt on mods will keep a ski reliable.
    Maintaining any ski keeps it reliable.
    You could get a 155hp non s/c ski and it will be able to easily run you around with your weight.
    I've seen guys that are 350lbs blast around on a 155hp ski with no problems.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information