GTX RFI oil problem running in rebuilt engine

hi I have just had my rfi engine rebuilt with new pistons and crank bearings / seals. First start after rebuild there was lots of white smoke, the engine builder said this was normal. next attempt to start the engine hydro locked. Removed plugs and turned over, loads of oil came out of the front piston. then it started ok, lots of smoke for 30 secs then it runs but is a bit lumpy. Now each time I start it I have to take plugs out blow oil from front piston then start. Do you think this is due to a crank seal or oil pump problem?

+1
    Most likely a crank seal problem..If it was the rotary valve shaft seal it would fill both cylinders

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Most likely a crank seal problem..If it was the rotary valve shaft seal it would fill both cylinders
    is that common when a new crank seal is installed? I cant imagine they didn't put new seals on the crank when they replaced the bearings. is it ok to ride while I am on my holiday?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pretty obvious that the engine was not pressure tested. Seadoos need to have not only the crankcases tested, but also the RV cavity

I did ask them to pressure test the engine on completion and they said it wasn't necessary, now they will have to rebuild it, just a shame I have taken it 1500km and sitting here not riding it on holiday!

[QUOTE=snowsports1;2218328]I did ask them to pressure test the engine on completion and they said it wasn't necessary, now they will have to rebuild it, just a shame I have taken it 1500km and sitting here not riding it on holiday![/QUO
    Obviously you have a seal problem. After install you just need to prime the oil pump and get all bubbles out of the supply lines and run it. I am curious who your rebuilder was. I just sent my GTX RFI engine to a well known rebuilder in Horsham, Pa. I got it back and it ran for 20 minutes and I have water coming into 1 cylinder. I just pulled it out and sent it back to the shop for warranty. It is 85 degrees here in Seattle and my ski is parked in the driveway.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsports1 View Post
    I did ask them to pressure test the engine on completion and they said it wasn't necessary, now they will have to rebuild it, just a shame I have taken it 1500km and sitting here not riding it on holiday!
    another shop that ues the book of Eli as a rebuilding guide.

"Not necessary" for them, they got paid regardless of the crap they handed you.

It's ALWAYS necessary to pressure test a two stroke after a rebuild. For a competanat shop it takes about 30 minutes to pull the whole thing off. Anybody with a pop off pump can pressure test the RV cavity. To avoid comebacks I ALWAYS pressure test my rebuilt motors which I get from a very well known builder..just to be sure as they gurantee the engine, the don't reimburse me for labor. Still no assurance against a problem. Famous story of mine on a 787 that lost it's backside rv seal after running about 4 hours. Pressure test would not have found that one.

thanks, by the way can someone explain, am I correct in assuming oil is leaking through the crank seal whether the engine is running or not, is this why I am getting a hydrolock after the engine is off for say 12 hours. but when cleared the engine seems to run well at half throttle but lumpy at low revs. white smoke only for the first few minutes running then it clears. Just interested to know what is actually happening, whether the seal is working once the engine is upto temperature?

+1
    gravity at work. If you get stuck with this deal, just clamp off the larghe line going to the RV line when you are done for the day. that keeps the oil in there fronm leaking out due to gravity. I suspect a sprint slipped fromt he seal lip during assembly.

On high hour seadoo two strokes and kaws aI see lots of injector oil leaking intothe cases with the heavy smoke effect. Clamping works..as long as you don't forget to remvoe the clamp before running the engine.....

there does appear to be oil leaking through while I am riding it, a bit more smoke than I would expect and poor running at low revs.

Thread Information