Help! How to unhook carbs? 96xp w/ picture

Possibly a very dumb question to those who know how, but I don't want to mess anything up. I am replacing all my fuel lines currently and am now at the carbs. I would like to take them out and clean the filters and check condition. How do I unhook these things? Picture is attached. Can someone explain?

I have them unhooked but the throttle cable is still attached as you can see. Where/how do I unhook it????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3331.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	307452
    Last edited by dlajoy1122; 07-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.

+1
    Just take the screws out to that hold the cable brackets to carbs. that way you don't have to reset cables. then just remove cable ends from carbs, has a little slot to slide cable end out once aligned. still want to check oil pump timing though after install.

3. +1 by:

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    After you get that off, the carb throttle linkage arm, you can twist the carb off it. Is like a little snap in ball joint.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    be very precise when replacing the fuel lines on the carbs. Measure the lines carefully and use the exact same length. a 1/4 inch makes a difference.

Failure to do so becomes one really painful and possibly expensive lesson as if you change the spacing of the carbs, they become very difficult to get back on the manifolds correctly, and quite often a gasket misalignment will go undetected which will result in a lean runaway as soon as the motor is started.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    be very precise when replacing the fuel lines on the carbs. Measure the lines carefully and use the exact same length. a 1/4 inch makes a difference.

Failure to do so becomes one really painful and possibly expensive lesson as if you change the spacing of the carbs, they become very difficult to get back on the manifolds correctly, and quite often a gasket misalignment will go undetected which will result in a lean runaway as soon as the motor is started.
    Thank you for the advise. I took one line off at a time and put it lined up with my new fuel line and cut the exact lengths on everything. Then I put the fuel line back on where ever it came from and lined it up with the old marks. You can usually see how far on everything was.

When I put my carbs back on, one of the gaskets was kind of stuck to the engine so I just left it and the other I had put the bolts through the carb and through the gasket and plated it on the engine. I am quite sure both were lined up properly.

Thanks all for the advice. Everything is cleaned up nicely and reinstalled. No issues after an 1-hour ride.

Thread Information