Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help with 1997 gp1200

Hi all
    I have recently acquired a 1997 gp1200 that has the following obvious mods, riva sponsons, riva pods, solas impeller, bypassed fuel tap, primer kit, rebuilt engine with between 115 and 120psi comp and 40hrs use since rebuild, head has been tapped with some fittings for extra cooling and a very very noisey exhaust (with nothing obvious) standing out fitted to explain the excessive sound, I have put it on the water and appears really responsive but seems to be lacking some top speed as it is getting a variable speed of between 85 and 90kmh which is equivalent to a seadoo of the same era with three times the fuel consumption, I decided to call a few repairers and tuners in the country and have asked if it is possible for them to tune the ski and have had the same response from them all (mate if its not standard we wont touch it), I then decided to go on the net and found the carbies standard settings on the low and high speed mixtures and set it to that and the thing nearly took off backwards, so now I am stuck with a ski that I am to scared to ride as it may blow up,
    can anyone tell me or give me a guideline as to what something like this should be getting top speed wise?
    Also is the compression ok for a rebuilt engine?
    Should it be using that much fuel?
    Why is it so noisey?
    How should the sponsons be set?
    And most importantly how do I tune the carbies to run well without the chance of running lean and blowing it up, I would really appreciate any help and info with this.Regards

First welcome to the forum.....The GP guys will be here soon and be all over this thread.....we are not afraid to go fast so dont worry , we can all help you, I dont understand the part about nearly took off backwards??, what does that mean??, alos the fuel is probably normall, tour skis are not the best fuel mileage engines out there, the noise is probably normall, they all growl a little while putting around, unless someone has put on a non standard water box, but it is a little noisy from the factory, that is the sound we love...forgive me but 85/90 killometers is about 55 mph right?? depending on the water (meaning chop) , the numbers you run will be different , unless the same conditions can be produced, i will let my GP buddies chime in here and help you out............

+1
    Riva Pods? I am assuming Flame arrestors

115-120 PSI is normal stock range for compression no issues here.

What were the carbs set to and where are they now more info here would be helpful.

Fuel consumption sounds normal these motors are thirsty my newer GPR is better on fuel than my older 65U motors

Picture of the water routing and the exhaust system would help with your questions there is the additional water line from the center cylinder?

Sponsons are set to personal preference all the way down will slow you down but help carve better up will let you slide more in the turns but yield a little more speed.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Can you provide some pictures of your engine?

sounds as thou you have the jetworks mod on this...being that there appears to be extra hoses off the head,is there a red or blue valve like fitting on one or more those lines???****see jet works mod in search****This mod will make it noisey,especially at idle and use more fuel as back pressure is less.(flow is better thru the induction system) need pics !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BULLRAIDER View Post
    First welcome to the forum.....The GP guys will be here soon and be all over this thread.....we are not afraid to go fast so dont worry , we can all help you, I dont understand the part about nearly took off backwards??, what does that mean??, alos the fuel is probably normall, tour skis are not the best fuel mileage engines out there, the noise is probably normall, they all growl a little while putting around, unless someone has put on a non standard water box, but it is a little noisy from the factory, that is the sound we love...forgive me but 85/90 killometers is about 55 mph right?? depending on the water (meaning chop) , the numbers you run will be different , unless the same conditions can be produced, i will let my GP buddies chime in here and help you out............
    Hi and thanks for the quick response, when I stated the backwards part I meant that it was really slow, fuel consumption is probably normal, but the sound out the exhaust deffinately isnt, i will put pics of various items up shortly, and yes 55mph is its top speed, thanks again for your time and welcoming email.Regards

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    Riva Pods? I am assuming Flame arrestors

115-120 PSI is normal stock range for compression no issues here.

What were the carbs set to and where are they now more info here would be helpful.

Fuel consumption sounds normal these motors are thirsty my newer GPR is better on fuel than my older 65U motors

Picture of the water routing and the exhaust system would help with your questions there is the additional water line from the center cylinder?

Sponsons are set to personal preference all the way down will slow you down but help carve better up will let you slide more in the turns but yield a little more speed.
    Hi and thanks for the qik response
    by pods yes I did mean flame arrestors
    didnt take note of the carb setting originally but at the moment the low speed is about 2 turns out and the high speed 1 turn
    I will be posting pics up as soon as I respond to the other members
    the sponsons will be put back up as they are all the way down at present, i am more interested in top speed.regards

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    sounds as thou you have the jetworks mod on this...being that there appears to be extra hoses off the head,is there a red or blue valve like fitting on one or more those lines???****see jet works mod in search****This mod will make it noisey,especially at idle and use more fuel as back pressure is less.(flow is better thru the induction system) need pics !!!

Hi not sure what has been done apart from the obvious stated I will put some pics up as I should have earlier.thanks

here are some pics

here are the pics of noticable bits and stuff that I dont know whether is standard or not, once again I appreciate it if anyone has noticed anything extra or non standard apart from the flame arrestors, drilled head and intake grate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4sale 068.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	18263

Name:	4sale 069.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	18264

Name:	4sale 070.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	18265

Name:	4sale 071.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	18266

Name:	4sale 067.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	18267

Name:	4sale 073.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	18268

+1
    Sounds stock with a prop and F/A no reason not to work on it.
    If 55mph is GPS your a little bit slower than stock.
    Stock would be around 57mph.
    Small things will rob you of speed .
    Any scrapes or gouges,stock trim tabs,nicked impeller,pump veins etc.
    What trim tabs do you have ?
    Speedo or GPS ?
    What tach and RPM ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information