gp1200r won't turn over

fresh rebuild, motor turns easy by hand. checked and rechecked all connections. battery good, verified w/ DMM. checked switch, checked relay per workshop manual. nothing. won't even attempt to turnover. wtf. i'd appreciate any ideas.

+1
    Fuses good ? Checked starter physical condition ?
    Is the dash gauge coming on ?
    These MAY have the security code, I am not sure. Someone else will chime in, or search

+1
    Try jumping the solenoid at the 2 big terminals. If it doesn't spin over pull the starter and or replace it.

jumped starter directly to battery. nothing. pulled starter, jumped directly to battery while wife was holding it. i think she shat herself because that was the moment it decided to start working again. reinstalled it. now life is good. thanks guys.

+1
    Maybe it wasn't grounded good.....Might want to have it tested, just to be safe. No fun if it craps out on the water!

the ground is how its bolted to the side of the crankcase, and neg from battery is bolted to crankcase. the only thing it it could've been is the eye on the cable was perfectly centered on the stud on the starter leaving a gap all the way around the stud.

+1
    A starter's brushes can be worn and sticking not letting them contact the armature correctly and when removed and bumped the brushes can make contact. then when bench tested the starter can check good and after a little wile do the same thing. the best thing to do would be take it apart and inspect it and clean everything and grease the bushings and reassembly it. if the brushes were sticking they will do it again.

Wait,

You had your WIFE hold the starter motor in her hand while you jumped it off the battery? LOL thats awsome! Mine wont touch the inside of my ski with a 10 foot pole!

The red-neck trick to keeping that starter alive now is to hit it with a hammer when it wont turn over. This really works btw. The starter may be fine for weeks now, but its just a matter of time before it does this again. I've never had luck with re-building/cleaning starter motor brushes. Eventually you'll want to get a new unit.

yeah, she's a champ. i will get a new one as they aren't that expensive and surprisingly easy to remove. nothing like the $300+ for the starter on my moto guzzi, which is around $70 to rebuild. piece of mind is well worth it.

Thread Information