Thread: Chip in hull

Chip in hull

Hi all, I jumped under the ski yesterday and noticed a chip in the hull just near the intake grate the size of a 10c piece or quarter in the us. Any tips on patching this up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130721_191720.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	307591  

All it needs it s a little sanding, glazing putty, sanding, another putty, sand, (prime) only if you want to. Ive painted a gazillion skis straight from fiberglass work with white appliance epoxy paint, and never had an issue with it coming off. They were rentals so its not that i didnt care or didnt know, they just needed to get back out on the water making money.

Your ski is black and im sure they make and appliance epoxy thatll match for you. From the looks of it you have more then just a simple chip in the hull, the remainder of the photo shows more damage to your ski. Depending on how bad it may be, you might be better off doing the entire ski at once then just spots here and there, judging by this photo, i imagine there are more chips around the ski. Or if you really dont give a shit, spray it with rubberize car undercoating. Itll cover the chips, and anytime you have an issue, just respray the spot with more rubber coating.

Near San Antonio, Texas
    Marine-Tex works well for that. Marine-Tex is like working with bondo. Need to sand the repair area with at least 80 grit before applying. Overfill by just a little and then come back to sand it smooth after drying. Repair spot needs to be really dry before applying Marine-Tex.
    I haven't ever used the appliance paint but I hear the same as kwtony about it.

Fort Wayne, IN
    Marine-tex and black pigment

Ended up fixing it. I sanded it to rough it up a bit than bought some black flowcoat and catalyst and filled in the chip, let it set, sanded it and it looks perfect.

I have a similar chip. What is flowcoat and where would I get it?

Thread Information