Please help! 1998 kawasaki 900 stx

I have a 98 stx 900. I bought it after it had set for 2 years. It had a bent shaft. I had that and the seals replaced. Installed a new battery as well. I put it in the water yesterday. It seemed to run fine at first. Kinda bogged down at first but after like 10 min I was flying around on it. But then it just stopped. It would start again and idle fine. But as soon as I gave it a little gas it would bogged down and want to turn off. Then we looked inside and I had water almost to the top of the engine inside. I see no holes or anything and wasn't doing hard turns. Where is this coming from and what can I do. I got it on land and blew out the hose that I think is supposed to pick up water and it was clear it the back of ski. I need this fiXed quickly as I am going to lake with family in 2 days. Thanks

+1
    Welcome aboard, Robinslu!

A bent shaft, as in drive shaft? Haven't heard of that one before.

If that's the case, the big black rubber seal that holds the driveshaft bearing in place (behind the engine) is probably leaking. Best way to confirm it is to remove the seat, back the 'Ski into the water and leave it strapped to the trailer. Look around the drive shaft, and anywhere else if you don't see water coming in there.

The engine has to come out to change the driveshaft seal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Robinslu!

A bent shaft, as in drive shaft? Haven't heard of that one before.

If that's the case, the big black rubber seal that holds the driveshaft bearing in place (behind the engine) is probably leaking. Best way to confirm it is to remove the seat, back the 'Ski into the water and leave it strapped to the trailer. Look around the drive shaft, and anywhere else if you don't see water coming in there.

The engine has to come out to change the driveshaft seal.
    I have seen and replaced quite a few drive-shaft bearing holders, the square black piece.
    The usual check is the same one Steve just described.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    actually, as to prevent a lot of uneeded effort, the driveshaft can be removed with the engine lifted up a few inches. you MUST put blocks under it to protect your digits and you slide the driveshaft and coupler under the motor.

You'll want to confirm it is a rear seal leak by first drying the hull and running it on the hose for a few minutes. I've seen a whole bunch of leaking skis where the water is coming from the hose that cools the stator.

No way to "repair" a leaky driveshaft seal, it must be replaced.

I have similar problem on a 2000 Kawasaki 900 stx. When I run it on the trailer with a hose I have no leak if I put it in the water it doesn't appear to leak when not running but after running about 1 hr. I have 1-2" of water in the bilge. I am new to the water craft world boating all my life so trying to figure this one out. The intake grate under the boat is rotting and pitted I see it was previously silicone all around but it now has openings in the sealant again. This doesn't allow water up into the hull does it?

+1
    cptgro, try riding with the seat off and see if you can spot where water is coming from. Could be the driveshaft seal, cooling hoses, leaky gaskets, drain plug gasket, etc.

Thread Information