Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Feeling a little screwed over and not sure the best route to go now :(

I bought a 2006 RXP from a dealer. The guy swore up and down to me that a mechanic has tested everything possible on the craft and said it was in "great" shape. I took it out on the water for the first time and it ran well but had disappointing power and would only go 50mph. I took off the supercharger hose, stuck my finger in, and it spun freely. The guy is not ignoring me.

So based on everything I have read, these things usually fail at the 100 hour mark. This one has 166 hours on it. I can only assume (I realize I could be way off) that this has been used for 66 hours with a failed supercharger and shrapnel in the engine. Based on what I have read, it will cost me more to properly fix the problem than the craft is worth. I am told a rebuild on the supercharger is significantly cheaper that properly going though the engine looking for supercharger pieces. If I just have someone rebuild the supercharger, will that get it working again and allow me to just drive the thing until something finds its way into something critical and kills it for good? I know that is a roll of the dice but I don't feel like I have much choice.

Thank you very much for any advice.

+1
    Take back to the dealer and tell them you want your money back.

Mine failed at less than 10 hours. If you ingested the washers and don't properly pull the block and flush them you will have a ticking time bomb of a ski....

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stang View Post
    A refund on your purchase price ( less $100 for the one day rental fair is fari yanno)) will be far cheaper for this dealer to address then the miles of bad karma he's going to get once he's outed on this forum for selling a ski with that kind of hours on it without a supercharger inspection.

If he starts pulling the "no warranty on used skis" BS, and he's a Seadoo dealer, write a complaint letter to Seadoo, the state ag and the BBB.

Bad publicity is not something a powersports dealer wants.

The charger could have failed at anytime..but at 166 hours the damage is done already if the charger is freewheeling

Yes, I realize that would be the ideal situation. However, him ignoring my attempts to contact him and the fact that he lied to me about a mechanic saying it was in great shape makes me think he is not willing to give me my money back. I know I could take him to small claims but then it's my word against his on a used vehicle/"as is" purchase. I'm no attorney but I am guessing the deck is stacked against me there. Plus, I will have to travel and miss work just to do it. I'm a cop and one mistake I've seen people make time and time again is to not just accept they have been screwed and the fact there is nothing you can do about it. You are correct though and plan A is still to get my money back. This post is my attempt to figure out my plan B should I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    A refund on your purchase price ( less $100 for the one day rental fair is fari yanno)) will be far cheaper for this dealer to address then the miles of bad karma he's going to get once he's outed on this forum for selling a ski with that kind of hours on it without a supercharger inspection.

If he starts pulling the "no warranty on used skis" BS, and he's a Seadoo dealer, write a complaint letter to Seadoo, the state ag and the BBB.

Bad publicity is not something a powersports dealer wants.

The charger could have failed at anytime..but at 166 hours the damage is done already if the charger is freewheeling
    He isn't a seadoo dealer. Just a small time car dealer that sells PWCs from time to time. He said he took it to a PWC mechanic to have it checked out.

+1
    How did you pay for the ski? Have you ask to speak to the owner?

Banned User
    +1
    Depending on when you bought it you have the right to return the ski for a full refund. Check state laws. Call bbb, attorney general, and local news. If he wouldn't give money back is for sure take him to small claims court. You will need to get a written estimate on what's wrong and costs. Don't wait on that, do it now. How long ago did you purchase the ski

like 33 said above how did you pay? Your bank and cc typically will back you and may even be able to stop payment, reverse funds, etc

+1
    my friend,you got screwed.

personally i'd get an attorney....either be prepared to spend thousands on a rebuild, or, you could part it out....good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    How did you pay for the ski? Have you ask to speak to the owner?
    $4,625

He is the owner.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information