Thread: STX-15F Head

STX-15F Head

I was wondering if it's necessary to pull the engine to take off the block or if it can be done while it's in the hull?
    If so how hard is it for a wannabe mechanic?

thanks,
    Mark

It can be done but it's a little more of a challenge working in the hull, I'm a noob and pulled my entire motor, I'm glad I did, it made it so much easier to navigate around the motor. Still in progress btw. Fixing some piston damage due to old gas

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasM View Post
    It can be done but it's a little more of a challenge working in the hull, I'm a noob and pulled my entire motor, I'm glad I did, it made it so much easier to navigate around the motor. Still in progress btw. Fixing some piston damage due to old gas
    Damage from old gas? wow I would have thought Kawi's were tougher than that. My hull filled up and the motor took a big drink of water and now piston 3 takes on water ( head gasket or somethings cracked )
    The engine pull doesn't look too bad in the book except maybe the exhaust manifold - was it tricky for you?
    I have a double 2X6 beam with a winch on it in the garage -think that'll work? engine's about 300-400 lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by biscaynemark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasM View Post
    Damage from old gas? wow I would have thought Kawi's were tougher than that. My hull filled up and the motor took a big drink of water and now piston 3 takes on water ( head gasket or somethings cracked )
    The engine pull doesn't look too bad in the book except maybe the exhaust manifold - was it tricky for you?
    I have a double 2X6 beam with a winch on it in the garage -think that'll work? engine's about 300-400 lbs?
    Yeah it sat for a few years, when I pulled the head the pistons were gummed up pretty bad, had some deto problems which led to some wrecked/melted pistons. Anyway, I have been talking to Smokeysevin a lot about my rebuild because he's the resident expert when it comes to 12F's and 15F's. The exhaust manifold was a big "B" to get out but Smokey(Sean) told me to remove the waterbox from the exhaust pipe by pushing toward the rear of the hull, of course you will have to disconnect some hoses and such but I ended up getting it loose with my rubber mallet. I used a 1 ton engine hoist to pull mine and it was plenty, and I think the motor is about 350-400 lbs. Here's a link to the thread. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200698

Thread Information