Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

01 LRV Backfiring

What up everyone...Alright, heres on a platter. Lurk'n for years but new post...Anyway, wrench'n on a buddy's LRV/951 carbed. Carbs are set perfect..(had them on different ski to test), motor bang'n at 125psi. He got the ski, not knowing anything, after topend rebuild, is where im at know. It just backfires. Wont start at all. From the looks of it, the PO may have messed with the timing. So, i inspected it and found what i think was the mag not aligned to the flywheel. Re-setting it, with the "big" rectangle just before pickup..(which the align hole in flywheel is matched as wwell), it still backfires. Digging into threads, i guess what may be next, is removing the flywheel and inspecting the woodruff key, correct?

Any help here, be awesome...got too much time invested to throw in towel now.

alright, with mag off, piston TDC, it seems that the hole on the flywheel is now, in a different location... , try'n to remove the flywheel to inspect key, but just wont pop, using impact... Whats the liklyhood of a stripped wooddruff? Is it common on 951's?

+1
    Check the reed valves

Also did you confirm it was a 99+ flywheel and mag cup?

thanks for the response Stang. I'll check the reeds out in the morning. As for the mag cup, ya its a 99+, but how do i identify the flywheel being 99+?

From looking at motor, the case was never seperated, so i'd assume, the flywheel and cup are original. Tried taking fly off, but to know prevail. Have the removal tool didnt work. From the looks of it though, it doesnt look stripped but who knows.

Aligning the cup to flywheel, is it, setting mag piston to TDC and then the "large" rectangle, "close" to where pick-up is? Thats what i seem to be reading.

I buttoned it all up with piston TDC, and mag cup with large rectagle magnet set, 1 hole back from align hole on flywheel. Nothing was happening. SO i swapped plug wires and BAM!, blew out my ear..hahaha. So, gonna set mag cup BACK to original spot..(where it was prior to ripping into it), and with plug wires swapped, try firing it off. I marked a spot, where the align hole was on flywheel, so with mag cover off, and TDC, i'll see if the wheel is stripped/woodruff stripped.

+1
    If the side cover was never off (paint was never removed from cover bolts) then you should be ok.

The mag cup large rectangle needs to be lined up to the alignment hole. If you want some pictures I believe I have both flywheels and mag cups on the shelf!

That be great, Stang! I was look'n on ebay for pics, and it seems the 99+ had the large protrusion aligned with hole on flywheel.

The paint WAS off the bolts, securing the cover, however, i think whoever did a topend before, replaced the cover oring. Only thing i can think of. Reason being, the "gold" bolts securing the mag, seenmed to be untouched/marked up. BUT....the large protrusion was ATLEAST 2 boltholes counterclockwise, from the alignment hole on flywheel...?

+1
    The 98 fly wheel has the alignment hole in a different spot than the 99+. If using a 98 flywheel and 99+ mag cup. The cup must be one bolt hole in the clockwise position ahead of the alignment hole.

appreciate the feedback and ur time, Stang.

I want to say, that, that flywheel IS a 99+, because there is just no inidication on it/jam nut, sayingotherwise, that its been removed before. The cup is defintly a 99+, with the 4-protrusions.

What gets me, with all the ebay flywheel pics, is that the pics depicting a 99+ flywheel/mag set-up, has the large protrusion aligned with hole in flywheel. Well, this one, the large protrusion was set back 2-bolt holes, but yet, never did it look to be removed at all..(mag cup).

I also marked the case is relevance to where the hole was, and then spun it/backfired...etc, then removed cover again, and made sure the flywheel had'nt spun on crank, which it did not....

+1
    What I would do is pull the nut off and washer so you can see where to notch is for the key on the flywheel. Then you can reference that as to make sure the proper flywheel is there.

If you use the proper tools it will always look like noone was in it.

Good point. I'll remove and note, where notch is in regards to align hole...thanks again Stang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information