96 Seadoo GTI only runs when fuel gauge is 1/2 way between on and off.

Hey everyone I have a 97 Seadoo GTI that's having a weird fuel issue, When I got the ski she wasn't running but I went through the mpem, fuses, changed the plugs, wires, cap, replaced all the grey rotting fuel lines with black marine fuel lines, and pulled the carb apart to give it a good cleaning, however I noticed the black rubber diaphragm had 2 or 3 very tiny pin holes in them ( this hasn't inhibited the ski so far but Im going to order the part and replace it) I am also riding the ski around 7500-8000 ft ( Big Bear lake) would any one have the correct settings for the low speed and high speed screw. Any and all information and references are appreciated.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey everyone I have a 97 Seadoo GTI that's having a weird fuel issue, When I got the ski she wasn't running but I went through the mpem, fuses, changed the plugs, wires, cap, replaced all the grey rotting fuel lines with black marine fuel lines, and pulled the carb apart to give it a good cleaning, however I noticed the black rubber diaphragm had 2 or 3 very tiny pin holes in them ( this hasn't inhibited the ski so far but Im going to order the part and replace it) I am also riding the ski around 7500-8000 ft ( Big Bear lake) would any one have the correct settings for the low speed and high speed screw. Any and all information and references are appreciated.
    you can find your settings here in this sticky....http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112918

not sure what you are asking in the title since it doesnt match your question on your post...?

Sorry pretty much the problem im having is the ski wont climb above roughly 10 knots unless i move the fuel selector knob half way between run and off then the ski starts to pick up. SO the Carb is acting like it is flooding it self when the throttle is moved to (wot).

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Sorry pretty much the problem im having is the ski wont climb above roughly 10 knots unless i move the fuel selector knob half way between run and off then the ski starts to pick up. SO the Carb is acting like it is flooding it self when the throttle is moved to (wot).
    sounds like you need to pull the fuel selector. something is not right there. I would either straight up replace it or clean and rebuild it and see if that solves your problem.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pinholes in the carb diaphragm =

NOT ACCEPTABLE!

it's odd that you haven't blown the engine yet. Lots of raw fuel is entering the engine, diluting the oil/gas ratio.

By moving the selector to "halfway" you are restricting the amount of available fuel.

best practice is to replace all carb parts if there is a reason to open the carb up.

if you sniff around you'll find some high altitude notes for Seadoo skis.

being at 4500 feet here doesn't require any adjustments ( mostly)

the only true test is a "plug chop/read" so that you know under your specific conditions, the mixture is in range

I do understand how lean fuel to oil or visa versa can mess up a motor but not blow one unless you were out of oil, the oil pump wasn't working, or you wern't sucking in cold water to disperse heat from the block. I know that I need to replace the diaphragm in the carb ( the holes are pin prick- and as stated in first post the parts were going to be ordered and on the way-living in the mountains doesn't make it easy to just grab a new diaphragm lol) and did not affect performance the 1st,2nd, or 3rd day when it was running. The only added difference is that I changed the fuel lines form the stock Seadoo lines ( that I heard cause problems) to black Marine grade fuel lines, When I did that I made sure to go through and clean the fuel selector and go through the carb a second time. After I did all that is when the ski started not wanting to get up to speed unless while i was on the gas driving I would turn the fuel selector switch halfway between on and off.. am wondering if since new solid fuel lines were put in the ski if thats whats making the motor choke itself so to speak? ( have gone through the selector switch when I was changing fuel lines). I am going to try and set the carb HS LS screws according to airbornexp link and see if they help, as well as replace the carb internals.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    fuel lines are the red herring here...once you repalce the carb bits ( don't forget the needle and seats) set the pop off blah blah balh, you should be in good shape.

if the plugs were black..way too much fuel..if plugs are white, bypass the fuel selector, the rubber disk is screwed. I've never had good luck fixing selectors that were tempo fuel line fouled..likley as folks pour carb cleaner snake oil in the tank to try to fix an issue and that dissolves that disc.

on a side note, all the oil in the fuel in the world won't stop an engine lean sieze, the piston overheats and expands and the oil film fails and blamo. all over.

Tigershark and polaris skis over the years had stickers near the fuel fill that if you let the gas run too low, you coul damage the engine. it doesn't take much.

+1
    Sounds like you probably have bad needle and seat assemblies. It's choking out on way too much fuel.

I agree with you Myself lol, I just found a copy of the Mikuni sb carb that is on my ski I did notice a small ridge on the rubber tip of the needle, coupled with the old diaphragm and wrong
    low speed high speed needle settings would cause all the problems. Im going to order those parts would anyone know a good website or an official seadoo site were I would be able to order those carb parts, as well and he pop off testing tool. thanks you guys.

Alright guys so I figured out what the problem is, I did as everyone said pulled the carb again I finally was able to conduct a "pop off" test every checked good. So as I was getting ready to put the carb back in I paid special attention to the HS LS needle settings. The Problem ended up being that the Idol stop screw was to far forward giving the ski a interestingly high idle, so today what I put her in the water I had to do a little fine tuning on the idle stop screw ( the butter fly elbow that the throttlw cable pulls on ) and I tightened up the throttle cable ( had very little slack) she took off and ran like a champ until I ran out of fuel lol. AGain thank you all for the info I have a kawi that I posted about in the kawi 2 strok forums if anyone could throw me a bone there that would help.

Thread Information