Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 Kawasaki has spark on first crank then nothing

I have changed plugs caps checked all fuses, the kill switch connection for corrosion (looked clean). Could the ignition coil have gone bad, or the stater. Sorry if my last post was unclear any info will help or possibly a manual.

+1
    My Yamaha will do that if the lanyard isn't plugged in. I believe the CDI system has to fire once to discharge before it's truly off.

Hey Steve45 mad respect and thank you for stopping by I have read a lot of your threads and advice posts, Stooked your giving me some time. I have heard that a few skis have lanyard issues I.E if seadoos lanyards get wet or dirty they wont make connection. I have already pulled the start/stop buttons and looked inside the casing for corrosion I didn't see any, I Also didn't see any on any of the electrical connections I'm leaning more towards a new CDI, more over the ignition coil because with the key in or my pulling the stop switch as far out as I can I will still get an initial spark on the first crank and then as the engine keep turning the spark stops. This is happening on a new set of plugs,caps, and wires so my next assumption working back is my ignition coil ( all fuses are good). If it isn't the coil my next shot would be the stater but I have read that a stater either works or it doesn't So if anyone would happen to know the specs for that I would appreciate it ( it has been a pain trying to find a manual). Again thanks steve and any info would help, also the trim system isn't working but the weird part is its not blowing the trim fuse.

+1
    The trim isn't blowing the fuse because the connections inside are probably corroded and no current is flowing.

Check that the hot wire for the switch isn't grounded somewhere. The plug-in connectors on Kawis are bad about getting moisture in them and corroding.

+1
    The starter only turns the motor. It has nothing to do with spark.

OK il give that a run through tomorrow, thank you for your time sir.

does anyone know were i can get an exciter coil or a whole e box for an sts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    The starter only turns the motor. It has nothing to do with spark.
    He's talking about the stator, not the starter.

right I don't think its the stater anymore though unless I mixed up the numbers in the manual or read it wrong. Also if my stater were bad wouldn't I have no spark/ would I have weak spark? I think I read a thread were steve45 and someone else were talking about if a stater were bad you would have no spark, the problem im having is that I have strong spark at first and then as the motor warms up or the more I crank it the weaker my spark gets until it dies. I have taken the ski out twice about 2 weeks ago then this problem started, however the time I took the ski out I only got a 5 min ride then she would sputter down and run at idle. I could chop the throttle back up to speed but if i held it then it would die. After I would beech the ski I would pop the plugs and check them for spark and I would have nothing. So since I have take then ski out of the water I pulled the Electrical box and did and OHMs test on the ignition coil,stater,and excitor coil. THe Exciter coil is the only component that did not give me any readings back on the multimeter, so I can pull the exciter coil and change that or just get a whole new electrical box. I would buy a used or refurbished one if anyone new of a site were I can find one or if there is a used one out here

+1
    I still think you've got the hot wire grounded somewhere. Open up the box and make sure the connections are clean, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information