Need to fabricate Reverse Brackets

So I found a deal on a R&D ride, so I went ahead and bought it. Now I can't find the reverse brackets that go with it. I have searched everywhere I can think of hoping to find a pair, now I think I need to try and fabricate a pair. I have the aluminum plate and can have them cut and/or milled at work. I have some decent pictures, but I can't determine the proper shape and dimensions.

Ideally I would love it if a member would be able to trace the R&D pattern for me. I know this is asking alot, but maybe someone hasn't installed them yet?

Also welcome to any other ideas?

Thanks
    Andre

+1
    Yeah, makes ya wonder what's up with R&D that they don't have any available...and they leave you wondering if any more will ever be available or not.

Since you have the R&D plate, someone tracing the R&D pattern that included where the bucket mount holes are would be best. Hope that happens, make me a copy of the pattern too...or the brackets themselves if the price is right.

If you have to make a set, you have a good reference point on your stock OEM ride plate. Set the plates back edge to back edge and figure out what you need to do.

Or buy a set from Shredmaster for their plate and adapt them. http://www.shred-master.com/STX.htm

Ahhh, I didn't think about adapting the ones from shredmaster....That may work, but when I called last week on their ride plates, they were out 6-8 weeks until they would make more. So I went with R&D also to save about $150. Even thought about cutting the ones off the stock plate, or using some angle and shaping them like a teepee with a hole in the center for the bucket. Not sure how much pressure is exerted in reverse. Does look like the R&D ones are pretty stout, but the stock ones aren't??

BTW R&D said they will not make any more ride plates or brackets. I could see if the 15F was an olf model, but they are still in production, not enough sales I guess.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kawa900stx View Post
    Ahhh, I didn't think about adapting the ones from shredmaster....That may work, but when I called last week on their ride plates, they were out 6-8 weeks until they would make more. So I went with R&D also to save about $150. Even thought about cutting the ones off the stock plate, or using some angle and shaping them like a teepee with a hole in the center for the bucket. Not sure how much pressure is exerted in reverse. Does look like the R&D ones are pretty stout, but the stock ones aren't??
    A lot of pressure is exerted in reverse, especially if you throttle up some. The stock plate reverse brackets are plenty strong. Even though they aren't made with a bulk piece of aluminum like the R&D ones, all those side riser brackets engineered into them make them more than adequate to function as intended.

BTW R&D said they will not make any more ride plates or brackets.
    Wow, that's the way it seemed to me when I tried to place an order recently.

I could see it if the 15F was an old model, but they are still in production, not enough sales I guess.
    That was my thoughts about it also.
    From a economic standpoint on their end, I understand that they need to make them in 'production runs'...at least 100 at a time would be my 'guess'.
    I think you're right, "not enough sales". Nowadays a product has to move in a timely way and in quantity to keep them in production.

On the up side, the old debate about which plate to buy, R&D or Shredmaster is now solved.

Unfortunately for me, I need at least 3 plates. I'm a big time do-it-yourselfer but fabricating my own cast aluminum ride plates is beyond my capabilities.
    Last edited by TexasZ; 07-23-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: highlighting

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I had planned to make a plate this summer after hearing that R&D was stopping production but I have not had any time to get started. I am still hoping to get a plate made soon but there is no ETA. I would just measure the stock brackets and cut a set out of 1/2 inch aluminum, in the grand scheme it needs to be strong but its not like getting a prop or something else precision, it just needs to bolt down and secure it.

Sean

Well here is what I did. I saw that the R&D brackets must be about 5/8" inch thick and the stock brackets were more like 1/4" but had support cast into the mold. I read online where another made some brackets using 1/4 angle. So I had some 1/4" angle readily available and free I used that. I am hoping the material is thick enough to be strong enough too. I haven't had it on the water to test yet, but I am hoping today after work. I rarely use the reverse and when I do, I am not revving the motor to produce massive amounts of thrust, its more of an idle. And I figure if these are not stout enough, at least I have a template made. I now how a piece of 1/2 plate that I could cut into.

Since I used the 1/4" material, I had to mount the reverse bucket to the inside, versus the stock bracket was on the inside. Used shorter SS bolts in SAE 5/16 instead of the stock M8 that I had initially planned on using, but didn't had a tap for. Also, I may need to figure out something else for the stops since my brackets are on the outside of the Integrated stops built in the bucket.

Here's some pics, excuse the dirtyness of the ski, I have some cleaning to do!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image10.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	308589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image13.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	308590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image12.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	308591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image11.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	308592

+1
    Very nice job on the brackets! They look plenty strong enough to me.
    For the bucket stop, looks like you put the bucket down where you want it and then drill a hole through the side of the bucket for a bolt to go through and hit against the back edge of the bracket you made.

8. +1 by:

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZ View Post
    Very nice job on the brackets! They look plenty strong enough to me.
    For the bucket stop, looks like you put the bucket down where you want it and then drill a hole through the side of the bucket for a bolt to go through and hit against the back edge of the bracket you made.
    Looks good, I like the bolt idea it should work well.

Sean

Thread Information