Polaris 780 slt wear ring issue

I bought this 780 last year with 30 hours on it. Used it 1 season with no issues, someone sucked a rock into the impeller and I wanted to change the impeller. I had the original 5131371 on it and bought one that the dealer said was the right one for the ski. They gave me a solas pa-cd-12/18. It fits in the housing and tightens but it won't turn, it is bound up in the sides. This is the second imp that I have tried in the machine. In speaking with tech support from skat trak, he told me that if there is any corrosion in the housing, it shrinks. I'm not sure if it shrunk or if I'm getting the wrong impellers. The jet pump does have a bigger diameter than the spacer that the impeller is in. The spacer has some wear in it but not much. The impeller has space all around it so I don't think it has worn down to the point that it could be that far off. If it were worn down I would think it would be closer to the walls all the way around. I'm new to the jetski world so I'm sorry if my part depiction isn't totally correct. I'm looking to see if there is anyone else that had a similar thing happen. Maybe there are different sizes of spacers for the same model impellers? I'm not sure which way to go at this point. The guy from skat recommended a polaris 148 swirl 13/18. Anyone have a clue which direction I should go? If I should replace the housing, anyone know where to get it? Thanks in advance! Mike

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! Sounds like your wear ring became corroded and has bulged preventing the impeller from spinning. Usually a new impeller will be very close to the wear ring walls (what I believe you are referring to as the spacer). All polaris pumps, with the exception of the 92 and 93s, are 148 mm in diameter. It is likely you will need to replace the wear ring, but only if the blades of the impeller are in fact hitting the wear ring. When you remove the 5 vane stator, which the impeller is attached to, you should be able to also slide the wear ring on. Does it spin freely? Do the blades touch the sides? If the blades are not touching the sides, and it still won't spin, it is likely that the stator bearings are seized, or that you are missing a spacer behind the impeller.

Thanks fro the welcome Crisis!! The bearings are good and I replaced the rubber orings just as a precaution. I had an electric motor guy check the bearings for confirmation on your recommendation. It seems as though the housing might be concave and pinning the new imp. I ordered a new 1 but its aluminum. Where is a good place to get higher quality ones??? And is there anywhere that really explains the whole concept of the numbers?? 15/20 13/18 14/21. I've asked 3 different dealers and no one could really answer the question on what it all means. Even looking at the write ups on the imps. They all say the same thing, better acceleration, more power for pulling skiers and better high end. I would imagine that an aftermarket should show some improvement over a stock one but I'm not sure. According to the mfd I was doing 59mph in the flats with it before I pulled it out of the water. I was definitely holding my own against newer fancier skis, they had better hole shots but I caught right up to them. I like the slippery feeling of the old ski over the new ones. If I want to just go fast in a straight line, I will just run my boat. Had a new ring overnight end for tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed if it gets here I will throw it in my pool for a load test.

+1
    I thought the billet aluminum wear rings were the best ones ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999-SLTX View Post
    I thought the billet aluminum wear rings were the best ones ?
    Aluminum is softer than stainless, and therefore more prone to wear. The stainless insert can experience corrosion issues, and lock up the pump. I think someone is still on the search for an all SS wear ring......

+1
    ah ok , thx

It was the ring. New one in and new solas impeller, going back in tomorrow!!! Thanks for the help!! Mike

Research the impellers before buying!!! My ski lost 10mph by switching the impeller to a solas 12/18 from the original stock prop. Disappointing doesn't even come close! Does anyone have good knowledge on impellers???? The original stock prop was the 5131371 15/20. I saw in a chart somewhere on here that it was concidered a modified imp but not sure. Anyone have any luck changing the original impeller without loss of speed?
    Mike

+1
    just sent my original impeller to these people there the best I hear

http://impros.com/store/index.php/

Thread Information