Engine tear down help needed.

Alright, to cold to work today in Maine so I finally got to spend some time in the garage working on the engine for my 95 SL750.

The first question I had was how do you remove the PTO?, the clymer manual said to use a specific removal tool. Is that true and if so where do I get one?

Secondly, I removed the reeds and they look bad. Kinda rusty looking. Can those be cleaned up in the parts washer or do I need to buy new ones?

Finally, does anyone have any tips for splitting the cases. I've never done it before so I was wondering what I would be up against.
    Oh ya, also, I bought a piston pin remover tool today, tried it, and they wont budge. I soaked them with knock'er loose, and nothing. Any tips?, I don't wanna damage the rods.

As always, thanks for all your help.
    Aaron
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 03-07-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaaron View Post
    Alright, to cold to work today in Maine so I finally got to spend some time in the garage working on the engine for my 95 SL750.

The first question I had was how do you remove the PTO?, There are flat places on the couplers also drop use the rope in the plug hole trick! the clymer manual said to use a specific removal tool. Is that true and if so where do I get one?Don't
    Secondly, I removed the reeds and they look bad. Kinda rusty looking. Can those be cleaned up in the parts washer or do I need to buy new ones?Post a pic?
    Finally, does anyone have any tips for splitting the cases. I've never done it before so I was wondering what I would be up against.it's easy once you remove the bolts!
    Oh ya, also, I bought a piston pin remover tool today, tried it, and they wont budge.I never had a problem? and I don't use the tool? I soaked them with knock'er loose, and nothing. Any tips?, I don't wanna damage the rods.

Aaron
    ZZZ

Check out the picture in the Clymer. Use a 5/16 threaded rod, pipe and washers as necessary to pull out the pins.

If necessary increase the threaded rod to 3/8 '' they will come out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaaron View Post

The first question I had was how do you remove the PTO?, the clymer manual said to use a specific removal tool. Is that true and if so where do I get one?
    Bring the PTO piston to roughly TDC, drop a rope into the cylinder and leave a little piece sticking out so you can retrieve it after the coupler is broken loose. Get a HUGE breaker bar for the coupler, it's going to be tight.
    Secondly, I removed the reeds and they look bad. Kinda rusty looking. Can those be cleaned up in the parts washer or do I need to buy new ones?
    I agree, a picture would be nice.
    Finally, does anyone have any tips for splitting the cases. I've never done it before so I was wondering what I would be up against.
    Oh ya, also, I bought a piston pin remover tool today, tried it, and they wont budge. I soaked them with knock'er loose, and nothing. Any tips?, I don't wanna damage the rods.
    Did you remove the cir clips first?

Aaron

Did you remove the cir clips first? oops!

I didn't remove the circlips!

+1
    The good new is, we now all know how well a cir clip works.

Good call! I pressed out my mercruiser u-joints without seeing the c clips! it let go with a tremendous force in a 10 ton press! !

Thread Information