Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

garmin 76 problems

okay so i bought a garmin 76 a couple months ago to fit in the indentation on the glove box lid on my gtx limited...

after about 7 runs water had gotten inside it and completely ruined the gps... garmin states that the 76 is waterproof and that it could easily be submerged in water.. (mind you its only gotten some spray from chop and turns)

so on a fluke thing i was on ebay and i found a garmin 76 color for 99 bucks or best offer.. i threw the guy an offer and he took it.. i know thats a steal for that because used theyre still selling in the 220 range..

did i make a mistake going back to garmin after my first bad experience??

has anyone "water logged" a 76 even after garmin says its waterproof?

im just nervous im going to break this 2-300 dollar gps before i even get it haha

+1
    yea I did i accidentally left it in my glove box and the glove box had water in it also .. . for about 3 days ;-( time frame though!! prior to it had been in the water multiple times and never got any water in it.. so im not sure what gives !!

+1
    I've owned a 76 for about 5 years now - CSx model, top of the line for this series. I too have the optional SD glove box lid where it is mounted. I've not had one glitch. That being said, I've never purposely put it in water to test the "proof" nor have I ever accidentally got it wet. I've logged a several thousand miles - smooth water, rough water, 100% humidity, temps near 100*, and in the rain. So far, not one problem. I've been so pleased w/my purchase, it was one of the reason I decided to start my website for PWC GPS trails (site in sig. below).

I'm curious if, upon purchase, you registered the unit, and if you called Garmin about your experience/filed a warranty claim.

Best of luck w/your next unit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I've owned a 76 for about 5 years now - CSx model, top of the line for this series. I too have the optional SD glove box lid where it is mounted. I've not had one glitch. That being said, I've never purposely put it in water to test the "proof" nor have I ever accidentally got it wet. I've logged a several thousand miles - smooth water, rough water, 100% humidity, temps near 100*, and in the rain. So far, not one problem. I've been so pleased w/my purchase, it was one of the reason I decided to start my website for PWC GPS trails (site in sig. below).

I'm curious if, upon purchase, you registered the unit, and if you called Garmin about your experience/filed a warranty claim.

I bought the unit used and when I went to register it it was already registered in the previous owners name.. I've sent an email to garmin explaining the situation to get their views on things.. I can already imagine what their response is going to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

+1
    Buying it used you cannot be 100% sure what the GPS has been through. I had bought a 76Csx a few months ago, went out to the water with it one day and on the ride back the screen went static and the GPS shut off. So I came home, put it in a bowl of rice for about a week, removed the humidity, and voila - it turned on! Went back out to the water about a week later, and needless to say it ingested water/humidity again from the waves coming over the ski - back to the rice it went!

Turns out that a few weeks prior to the first incident I had accidentally dropped it from about 1-2ft off the ground. The drop caused a hairline crack on the mating edge of the GPS's top-face. The crack was not visible unless you disassembled the GPS, which I did. Although the two parts were sealing, there was that crack that did not join to any seals where the humidity/water was entering inside of the device.

I tried to super glue the crack and seal the two case parts with gasket maker, to no avail. I ended up purchasing another GPS, same model with insurance, and keeping the damaged one for automobile use in dry conditions.

All in all its a great unit, but all you need is one weak point and the water will come in.

I have mine mounted on the handlebars with a ram mount. I'm in salt water every weekend.No problem.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Mine got blasted 2012 LB2CAT race and condensate showed up on screen. Put it in a bag of rice & now is ok but bottom line is it is not as advertised. (waterproof)

+1
    I just found a small rip in one of the buttons... Guess I know where my water came from.. Ill try the rice method.. Would be nice to have another as a back up for anything non water related..

The new GPS should be here Saturday.. Just in time for my weekly run haha

Put it in a food dehydrator it works a lot faster.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post

I bought the unit used and when I went to register it it was already registered in the previous owners name.. I've sent an email to garmin explaining the situation to get their views on things.. I can already imagine what their response is going to be

My experience with Garmin is they're good with warranty claims. As long as it's still in the warranty period, i don't see why they would reject you for not being the original registered owner. They replaced my 76CSX with a refurbished unit after mine stopped reading the SD card, even though it was several months past the warranty period. Between the original & the replacement, I've owned that model for 5 years & never had a problem with water getting in it, & it's been submerged, splashed & left sitting in the rain many times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information