Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I Must Confess. I'm An Idiot!!!!!

So I bought a 95 750SLT for $125. It was already disassembled. It blew a rod & piston in 99. Everything else looked brand new and the hull is in great shape. Stupidly, I thought I could get it back up and running for cheap. It came with all the parts mechanical/electrical. Engine has a broken rod and needs a new piston, rod & crankshaft, cylinder just needs a hone. I've already posted here about the gas tank having gooey stuff in it. My auto mechanic cleaned that out for free. So, I've been busy trying to find the parts I need on eBay & Craigslist. OMG!!! These parts are expensive! While checking Craigslist I found someone who had a "bundle" of parts for sale. 1 triple carb complete, CDI, good bottom end(crankshaft!), shift cable, 2 start buttons(one with trim), air cleaner, flywheel, oil pump, stator, 2 mirrors, starter, cables and much more for $160. I'm thinking this is a good deal and I could sell extra parts to recoup my cost. So, I'm already in $285 and I still need to buy a piston, rings, clips, & pin & hone the cylinder. I see an add for a running engine. It was advertized as a running 94 750. I'm excited because its got everything I need to get up and running and it's ONLY $400. So,I purchase it(stupid!). Now I'm $685 in. I just got the engine yesterday and...... It turned out to be a 93 650. Not sure that will even push my big 750SLT. But, It looks like it's in good shape. Aside from that. Apparently, it has been sitting for a while. There is old oil in the crank case (looks milky green) but, it doesn't look like it has water in it. It's very thick. I would like to clean it out if possible/necessary. What's the best way to get this stuff out and clean the bottom end without taking the engine apart? Or, just leave it alone and continue with the build. Or, am I scr#*D!!!? I was doing all this, so my kids(teenagers and early 20's) would have a blast on our lake vacation in 2 weeks. So, my intentions were good albeit not the best thinking. If I were to do it all over again I would buy a complete running ski. I could have done that earlier in the season for what I've spent so far for sure. But, now(summer season) the prices have gone sky high! Any help is appreciated and comments welcome. I can take it. So, let's help other noobs not repeat this nightmare. I hope I'm not the only one who has tried to get a cheap ski and fix it up, only to to find out later that it's not that easy. But, even if I am it's a lesson well learned. Thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    Take the bottom end from the new 650 and put your 750 top end on it.

That would work if they both had the same bore. Not an option. I need info on the oil in the bottom end. Whether to proceed or not. Thanks though.

+1
    bore ? ur putting ur new 750 heads on the 650 the bore is what ur swapping over,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999-SLTX View Post
    bore ? ur putting ur new 750 heads on the 650 the bore is what ur swapping over,
    ^^^^---- what he said

The old 750 is not complete. Needs piston, rings, clips & pin. The 650 is complete top and bottom. The 750 is complete only on the bottom. I'm trying to not spend any more money. I was hoping to find out if the thick oil in the 650 can be removed or do I just spend more money and get a piston etc. for the 750 and make that work. The 750 is still in pieces and I would need to order the piston and completely reassemble it. I bought the 650 because it's already put together and I just need to put the carbs on and install it. So, I guess I'm not being clear since I was sharing my story and also trying to get answers about the oil. I guess I'll just drain as much as I can and put the carbs on and see if I can get it in the ski and run it and see what happens. I hope this finally makes sense. If not. I give up lol

Here's some pics that might help. Can u see the green oil on the crank? I drained 90% of it out last night. The 650 is assembled the 750 is not.

Attachment 307842Attachment 307843Attachment 307844

+1
    So if I understand you right, you bought a blown up 95 SLT 750 that needs a crank and at least one new piston/rings and you bought a 93 sl 650 engine you planned to use to fix yours?

It looks like the 650 engine got water/oil in the crank case and will need a good cleaning. If you can clean out most of it then it will probably be ok. But, the right way to do it would be to strip it down to the crank, inspect bearings, replace seals + gaskets, check crank index and rebuild. What is going on with the picture on the left? Is that the broken rod?

Does the 93 650 engine still have the odd cooling lines out of the bottom of it? If so you'll need to either run the 93 cooling routing or rebuild your engine using the cases from the 95.

Have you checked compression on either engine to know where you're at? It looks like the best bet for you is to rebuild an engine using the best parts of what you have and replace all gaskets/seals while it's all apart.

The picture on the left shows the oil in the 93 650 and what it looks like. I bought the 93 650 thinking it was a 94 750 as it was advertised and it was also advertised as a motor out of a "running" 94 750. I was just gonna put the carbs on it and install it. I'm trying to get it ready for a family trip and I'm running out of time. The compression on the 93 650 is 120 across all three. If the 93 650 was really a 94 750 and running I'd have been done already. So, now I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do. Your advice is prudent I'm sure. It's just not possible to rebuild either one in time for my trip. I guess my best bet is wait until after my trip. Get both engines up and running and then install the original motor back in the 95 750SLT. Then sell the 93 650 and all the other parts that I don't need and hope I can break even or only be out a little $. I'm sure that's clear as mud but I gave it a try

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    What is going on with the picture on the left? Is that the broken rod?
    Look a little closer, what looks like a broken rod is actually the inside of the crankcase. The piston looks to be near TDC, you can just barely see the bottom of the rod......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information