Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Polaris Virage txi engine cuts out at full throttle

Hello all.

I purchased a 2001 polaris virage txi late last summer. We were able to ride it for about 10 to 15 minutes a session with no problems except would not run at full speed consistently. After about 10 to 15 minutes the engine would start cutting in and out, then die. It would start right back up, but not run well unless it sat for several hours. This repeated, took into dealer, he rode with no problem. Summer ended, put in storage.

Hauled ski to cabin this spring, had gas tank leak. Tank was replaced and dealer discovered cylinder was worn. Repaired , replaced piston etc.

Ran ski last weekend with similar problem as last year, ran good at all rpms for about 5 minutes, but then would cut out at full throttle. Let off throttle and idle fine. Any time I would try to go over half throttle i
    the engine would start to cut out. Once this occurs it seems the engine starts to miss etc.

I have seen similar problems posted, but only once have seen a root cause. Believe it was the stator.
    I plan to put new plugs in this weekend. The n bring back to the shop. Does anyone have any advice on what this may be? Please help. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Has the TPS throttle sensor ever been replaced?

Has the EMM engine computer ever been repaired?

I asked about previous repairs and it didn't sound like much was required. So I don't believe either of those h ave been replaced. I am heading to the cabin tonight and will install the new plugs which I doubt will solve anything.

Is there anything with the tps I can check before hauling back into the shop? Thank you for your advice and all the information you have posted. It is greatly appreciated!!

More help needed please.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I asked about previous repairs and it didn't sound like much was required. So I don't believe either of those h ave been replaced. I am heading to the cabin tonight and will install the new plugs which I doubt will solve anything.

Is there anything with the tps I can check before hauling back into the shop? Thank you for your advice and all the information you have posted. It is greatly appreciated!!

I changed plugs with no positive difference. Running the same. Took back to dealer who tested the fuel pressure, stator voltage... all OK. Felt the TPS was functioning OK. No error codes. Did find high resistance in two coils...6000 plus ohms vs normal 250-300. Replaced coils. I test drove on the lake this weekend and it ran good at idle, low and high rpms for about 10 minutes and then started cutting out again...missing. They are going to replace the third coil and then I think I need to find someone else to solve this issue.

Is it possible that the vent could be partially plugged and it is eventually running out of air or something like that? I will loosen or remove gas cap and check when I get it back this weekend. Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

+1

I changed plugs with no positive difference. Running the same. Took back to dealer who tested the fuel pressure, stator voltage... all OK. Felt the TPS was functioning OK. No error codes.

Did find high resistance in two coils...6000 plus ohms vs normal 250-300. Replaced coils. I test drove on the lake this weekend and it ran good at idle, low and high rpms for about 10 minutes and then started cutting out again...missing. They are going to replace the third coil and then I think I need to find someone else to solve this issue.

Is it possible that the vent could be partially plugged and it is eventually running out of air or something like that? I will loosen or remove gas cap and check when I get it back this weekend. Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    The shop felt the TPS was OK?

Since there is no reliable test for a TPS other than installing another known good TPS, I don't know what basis the shop would have for saying anything positive about the old TPS. Bench testing of a TPS cannot tell whether it is good, bench testing can only show if a TPS is bad.

Engine vibration and heat can cause a TPS to fail while running on the water, yet seem OK when tested at the shop or on the trailer.

A bad TPS will often not set any trouble codes in the EMM and will not indicate a warning on the dash display. The engine will just not run properly if the TPS is going bad, sometimes it will just not run at all.

A new TPS is not super expensive, and even if your old TPS turns out to be OK, it is always a good idea to have a spare TPS on hand. When a TPS fails, there is no workaround other than installing another TPS.

Not sure what test the shop used to justify saying they didn't believe it was the issue. I have mentioned the TPS as a root cause a couple times now. They did state they should get an error code and at there shop have not had many issues to date. I will take your advice and purchase a TPS, just need to find one. I see a few used ones on ebay, but looks like I need to find a new one. I did notice you posted some possible substitues in your literature that I will check into. Anyone has a source of supply for a new TPS for a 2001 Virage TXi please let me know. Thanks. Will let you know how it turns out hopefully be the weekend.

It appears my new TPS options for my Polaris 2001 Virage Txi are the alternate Johnson/Evinrude part # 5001793 or The Pigtail TPS part # 2202740. I am not sure if the current TPS has a small acuator lever and mounts onto the end of the throttle shaft(tip selection from K447), it is in the shop. Could anyone advise which to purchase please, if they have tried either one or if anyone has found others? Thanks!

+1
    It appears my new TPS options for my Polaris 2001 Virage Txi are the alternate Johnson/Evinrude part # 5001793 or The Pigtail TPS part # 2202740. I am not sure if the current TPS has a small acuator lever and mounts onto the end of the throttle shaft(tip selection from K447), it is in the shop. Could anyone advise which to purchase please, if they have tried either one or if anyone has found others? Thanks!
    Going from memory, I think 2001 uses the non-pigtail style of TPS.

You can check part numbers on the Polaris Industries online parts web site.

Looks like the non-pigtail version to me (item 18 in the diagram);

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6484c003.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	309486

Note that if you use the slotted outboard version of the TPS then it is important to get the TPS properly positioned so the EMM sees a proper idle signal.

Just got off the phone with the shop to check there progress. They just had the ski on the lake and tested it again when it starts to miss. Said they were able to confirm that there is spark to all the cylinders when it is missing, so now do not believe it is coil related or electrical. They were able to run fine at half speed, but not at full throttle. They said the fuel pressure was not maintaining at higher RPM's, so think it is the fuel pump. I suggest the TPS again. He is checking into what he has on hand. Also asked them to check the fuel tank vent. I plan to bring up the 5001793 part with me this weekend and have it installed regardless. The fuel pump is expensive and I am about out of funds for this. Plan to have them hold off on replacing fuel pump???

+1
    Fuel pressure can weaken if the actual fuel pump is going bad, but that is not the only possible cause.

If the EMM itself is not maintaining the 'fuel pump on' signal to the fuel pump (keeping the Brown wire grounded), then the fuel pump might be turning itself rapidly on and off, which would of course affect fuel pressure readings.

The TPS is of course one of the important inputs to the EMM, but sometimes an EMM just gets weird internally and does strange stuff.

If the electrical connections between fuel pump and EMM via the Brown wire are not 1000% solid that too can reduce fuel pressure.

Fuel pumps can and do get weak, it happens. Just pointing out that there are other vectors with similar symptoms.

Good used fuel pumps should be findable, and there are linked threads showing how to adapt an automotive fuel pump innards to the Polaris Ficht configuration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information