+1

Seadoo 155mm jet pump lateral bearing play?

First off, thanks to everyone for your extensive help through the forums. The guidance and advice have saved me a ton of time and effort, as well as giving me the confidence to complete other tasks/challenges.

But I just had a question regarding the side to side play in a Seadoo GTi 720 155mm jet pump. I recently rebuilt the pump, replacing the bearings, seals and thrust washer with quality parts and torrington bearings. (non shrink wrapped china parts)

I know theres 1/8-1/4" front to back play, but should I feel any "wiggle" when pushing up and down? The reason I ask is that
    A) I don't remember there being any lateral play in it after I rebuilt it 3 weeks ago and
    B) On my recent trip to Key Largo, I sucked a 4 foot long piece of black rubber moulding into the intake, which wrapped around the drive shaft and into the impeller. Took me 30 minutes to idle (<1800rpm) through 12knot chop back to shore, where I was able to identify and extract the rubber from the shaft and impeller..... but after this, she wouldn't go faster than 36-38mph, (she did 44 on GPS on smooth waters just an hour earlier) and there was noticeable vibration at lower RPMs.

So I pulled the pump off, thinking something was still lodged somewhere, but there was nothing. The prop spins freely, but if I put the pump on the concrete with my knee pressing down to secure it, and grab the impeller and pull/push up and down, there's a slight bit of play, (maybe .1mm? its only a very little bit) which leads me to think that the black moulding caused too much stress on the pump or something and fouled the bearings, preventing it from reaching full RPM from 'wobble'. But then I think about the egg shaped ends of the drive shaft, and how there's supposed to be "give" for this sort of thing. The black moulding did not wrap all around the impeller or get wedged between the blades and the wear ring, that I am aware of, but may have. The black moulding that got sucked in definitely got some slices into it...

I'm basically trying to figure out why she won't reach 44 as it did 20minutes before I sucked this into my intake, so I am starting with the pump. I pray it's not the crank or drive shaft being bent, but starting with the lowest common denominator (and easiest to diagnose)...

+1
    You could have bent the driveshaft or stripped the splines. Pull the driveshaft out and inspect it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    You could have bent the driveshaft or stripped the splines. Pull the driveshaft out and inspect it.
    That was a fear - bent drive shaft... but having the pump all the way out, I went ahead and pulled the shaft.... all splines look good both ends, and thankfully shaft does not appear to be bent. I don't have extensive run out testing machinery, but rolling slowly and quickly on solid granite countertop and then 27" porcelain tile makes no indication of it being bent... like a wobbly roll, etc.

Sooooo.... in an effort to side with caution, I went ahead and ordered a new jet pump rebuild kit again, and will replace the bearings, thrust washer and seal on the front... again... just hope that I don't get the new ones in and it has this same up/down side-to-side play... as nominal as it may be... just doesn't seem right... one would think when fed through the bearings front to back that it would be locked down and have no lateral movement....

+1
    Could have bent an edge on the impeller too. Set the impeller on a flat surface and measure up to each blade leading and trailing edge. They must all be the same.

+1
    Oooohh... good point... didn't think of that... I appreciate the input....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Could have bent an edge on the impeller too. Set the impeller on a flat surface and measure up to each blade leading and trailing edge. They must all be the same.
    Ok... checked impeller on a flat surface with 90 degree framing square and mm measurements, and it all looks good... So thankfully not the impeller... But I appreciate the feedback/help just the same...

I should have the new bearings by tomorrow, and will report back with how she runs in the water... Hopefully it was just the bearings, and the vibration/top speed issues were because it was wobbling a bit...

Thread Information