New to site from Tampa area..need jet ski assistance

This seemed like the best place on the forum to post this thread. We just recently moved to Tampa, FL and are looking for some aid in purchasing a couple of jet ski's. I have no prior knowledge or experience, except for renting one before, and was curious if there was anyone in the Tampa area that would be able to go with me when I check out some used skiis. For as much money as they cost, I'd hate to miss something and end up buying someone else's junk. Having someone with knowledgeable experience would be a fantastic. Any takers?

my suggestion if you absolutely have to buy used is look for something that is only 1-2 years old and is still covered under an extended factory warranty. Unless you are mechanically inclined and don't have problems doing repairs on your own used skiis can easily become major headaches and money pits!!!! For example, a friend of mine has a 2008 Kawi in great condition with approx. 60 hrs on it.....2 months ago the supercharger belt broke, he took it to the dealer to get repaired since he had the extended kawasaki warranty....took almost 6 weeks until he got it back and cost him $700!! He had to fight to get it covered and in the end they only covered the cost of the parts. Without the warranty the repair cost was close to $2K!!! I don't live too far from you so wouldn't have a problem coming along....just make sure that you schedule a water test whenever going to check out a ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor7000 View Post
    my suggestion if you absolutely have to buy used is look for something that is only 1-2 years old and is still covered under an extended factory warranty. Unless you are mechanically inclined and don't have problems doing repairs on your own used skiis can easily become major headaches and money pits!!!! For example, a friend of mine has a 2008 Kawi in great condition with approx. 60 hrs on it.....2 months ago the supercharger belt broke, he took it to the dealer to get repaired since he had the extended kawasaki warranty....took almost 6 weeks until he got it back and cost him $700!! He had to fight to get it covered and in the end they only covered the cost of the parts. Without the warranty the repair cost was close to $2K!!! I don't live too far from you so wouldn't have a problem coming along....just make sure that you schedule a water test whenever going to check out a ski.
    Cost him $700? Some extended warranty. I've read a good bit about the super/turbo charged motors being awesome ski's... right up until there's a problem with it, then it gets crazy expensive. Unless I were to come across the "Deal of the Century", I'll likely be sticking with something N/A. When it comes to motors, I don't mind breaking my toolbox out at all. Actually, I find it just as much fun as the ride itself. My OP was because I wanted to go check out this MSX 140 up in the Trinity area that I saw on CL on the cheap but it was "making a funny noise". The more I dug around here, the more and more I didn't like the sound of the Weber engines and tracking down expensive parts to fix whatever the issue was. I'll make sure to water-test anything I go and look at. Coming from the motorcycle world, I know how important it is when looking at used machines to: inspect, inspect again, test ride, inspect some more, and assume the seller never performed any kind of maintenance except filling up the gas tank.

I appreciate the tips and words of caution. If I find something I'd like to look at I'll see if you're available. Thank you!

Thread Information