Cavitation Problem with 2004 RXP

I recently just bought my first PWC a 2004 RXP, should have done it years ago. However, I am experiencing cavitation and a high temp alarm when I ride aggressively, jump, quick take off, doughnuts, etc. I was told by a local dealer that this was a factory design flaw with the pump. Wear sleeve does have a gap at the impeller and needs to be changed out. Any advice on the comment of the design flaw?? Thanks for the input.

+1
    time for a new carbon seal and bellows when you change the prop and wear ring
    did the dealer warn you about the ceramic washers in the 04 rxp supercharger
    now that is a design flaw, not the pump
    Last edited by skidoochris; 07-24-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Does the hot alarm keep sounding or does it just come and go suddenly/randomly? Is the alarm off if you kill it and start it back up?

I had a modded stock waterbox triggering my hot alarm. Wasn't actually the engine being hot.

Design flaw?? The hot alarm from driving like that, or the gap at the wear ring? Sounds like a silly comment either way.
    Last edited by blkturbo!; 07-25-2013 at 12:42 AM.

+1
    Pull that pump, it's easy.
    Definitely order a new wear ring--and check the impeller for dings as well.
    Skidoochris is right about the carbon seal and rubber bellow boot--order one of each for piece of mind. You'll notice how 'squished' the old rubber boot is when compared to the new one.
    Do NOT reuse the 'C' clip under the hat (carbon seal presses against it on drive shaft), order a NEW one (or two in case you mess one up!).

I would send the supercharger to Jerry--the last thing you want is your engine eating ceramic washer fragments. It's well worth the cost to curb a potential 3000dollar engine rebuild.

Good luck!

thanks for input.....comment seemed way off base to me as wel........ceramic washer have been replaced. Again thanks for the input.....

+1
    The valves, S/C oiler and flywheel bolts should be upgraded as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hop8589 View Post
    I recently just bought my first PWC a 2004 RXP, should have done it years ago. However, I am experiencing cavitation and a high temp alarm when I ride aggressively, jump, quick take off, doughnuts, etc. I was told by a local dealer that this was a factory design flaw with the pump. Wear sleeve does have a gap at the impeller and needs to be changed out. Any advice on the comment of the design flaw?? Thanks for the input.
    An out of spec wear ring will definitely cause cavitation. You may want to make sure your prop is also in spec. Swap in the Riva stainless wear ring. Another thing that helps reduce cavitation is the R&D pump seal.

Thread Information