Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

GP1200 questions

So, i recently inherited a 99 yamaha xl1200, knew a guy who wanted a bigger ski and i wanted a smaller ski. my xl needed some minor work and his was mint, but we traded even swap. right off the bat i know it has installed a riva stage 2 intake kit and a R&D rideplate.

i had it on the water today and boy does this thing fly, it hooks up perfectly at low speeds and hauls some serious [email protected]@. according to the dream o meter i was turning 6900-7000 RPMS at 60 MPH with 2 people, i was wondering if these rpms are normal. the ski ran perfect for 2 hours, healthy looking pisser, smoke and all. when i got back to the trailer i place the ski half on the trailer (the ski was still in the water just resting on the trailer) i started the engine and smoke was coming out of the pisser?? i heard somewhere its normal to do this at low/no speed but ive never seen smoke before, it was peeing a strong stream when running fast (LOL). also, at 1500-2500 rpms this thing shakes pretty bad, not terribly bad but very noticeable, im used to the seadoo 951 engines so is this just how the GP1200 acts? it almost feels like a cavitation vibration but there is no cavitation issues? i have searched google and this site for my answers but i always find unanswered threads.

as a new GP1200 owner i am loving this ski, it doesnt corner quite like my old 98xpl however, this ski kinda "slides" in turns for lack of a better word. i love it, power sliding is much more fun than cornering, plus 180s on this monster are a blast.

thanks in advance for your replies!

+1
    Normal

+1
    6900 RPM seems reasonable, but we do not know for sure if it is completely stock.

60 seems a bit ambitious for a stock boat with two people..... I would think 57

"smoke coming out of the pisser?"..... probably just a bit of steam with the pipe absorbing heat from the engine when you shut it down.

RIVA sponsons will make the GP1200 corner very hard, but will slow it down a couple of MPH

the 65U engine does "shake" a lot Just to be safe though you might check your engine alignment.

+1
    thanks for the replies! i have my manual handy and plan to check the alignment of the engine, ill probably pull the pump to inspect the shafts, impeller and seal it up nice and tight. im glad that its normal, absolutely loving my GP, looks and preforms amazing.

+1
    What year GP1200? Any pics? !!

+1
    It's a 99, ill put up some more pics tonight, only have one on my phone.

+1
    Here's the pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	307968  

+1
    '99 is my favorite year GP1200...but thats a '98. Looks like its in great shape!!

+1
    ran into some problems today, had trouble getting it started right off the bat, ended up pour a bit of fuel into the carbs to get it running, it ran great on its own power from there on. im planning on rebuilding the fuel pumps this weekend. well, i was running wot at 60mph, it stuttered a bit until idle then finally died, couldnt get it to start again so i towed it back to shore and called it a day. pulled the plugs when i got home, looked fine but had no spark to any of the plugs, i also noticed that the gaps on the sparks plugs had closed significantly more than i had the at before, i mean almost closed, new plugs and still no fire. i saw your (Cutlass) reply to a 97 GP1200 with the same issue, you posted in 2012 with a diagram about how to start diagnosing the no spark issue. will this same diagram work for my ski? i plan on checking everything out tomorrow. thanks again in advance, i have no idea what is going on, it ran beautifully last night but not at all today.

+1
    forgot to mention, comp tested the ski after i got home for fear that a piston might have hit my plugs. tested 110 113 110 with no dings in my pistons, im lost.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information