Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

STX-15f cutting out sometimes after letting off throttle from WOT

Hi,

So, I have an STX-15f with 430 hrs. Runs great, except sometimes it will shut off when going WOT and releasing the throttle and as it's coming to a stop. I've replaced the spark plugs and been through 3 tanks of gas so I don't think either of those are the problem. I also ran a bottle of Sea Foam through the system just to see if it would help.

I've read Smokey's troubleshooting thread (by the way, thank you for that. It's very helpful). I guess I'm down to the fuel filter and fuel pump. I have a service manual and was looking to replace the fuel filter just to see if it would help, but in the service manual, it says that the filter should last the life of the machine. So, how likely is it to be that. It seems like a bit of a pain to remove if it isn't likely the issue. I also realize that the machine has 430 hrs so, it could definitely be time to replace that... Although, if the machine is running great, it seems like the fuel filter would have issues pushing it 55 mph also.

Would you skip that and go straight to the pump?

Anything you can think of that I haven't tried?

Thanks,

Mike

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I had an '06 15f that did the same thing, I adjusted the throttle cable, worked fine after that

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Hi,

So, I have an STX-15f with 430 hrs. Runs great, except sometimes it will shut off when going WOT and releasing the throttle and as it's coming to a stop. I've replaced the spark plugs and been through 3 tanks of gas so I don't think either of those are the problem. I also ran a bottle of Sea Foam through the system just to see if it would help.

I've read Smokey's troubleshooting thread (by the way, thank you for that. It's very helpful). I guess I'm down to the fuel filter and fuel pump. I have a service manual and was looking to replace the fuel filter just to see if it would help, but in the service manual, it says that the filter should last the life of the machine. So, how likely is it to be that. It seems like a bit of a pain to remove if it isn't likely the issue. I also realize that the machine has 430 hrs so, it could definitely be time to replace that... Although, if the machine is running great, it seems like the fuel filter would have issues pushing it 55 mph also.

Would you skip that and go straight to the pump?

Anything you can think of that I haven't tried?

Thanks,

Mike
    Wow, 430 hours, good for you. What year is it? I'm not even half way there on my 6th season and was wondering how much longer I had.

+1
    Hmmm. I didn't think about adjusting the throttle cable. Is that hard to do? I suppose I could consult the service manual.

CJ, it's an 06. These engines just seem to keep going.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

+1
    Its simple....has a threaded end with a nut on it to adjust tension....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Its simple....has a threaded end with a nut on it to adjust tension....
    Cool, thanks!! I'll give that a try. I'm assuming the threaded end is up on the handlebar? (as opposed to the end that goes into the throttle body).

+1
    I believe there is one on both ends, the one I adjusted was near the throttle body.....

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Its probably the idle control motor sticking or starting to stick. Try pulling the throttle body off and using a foaming oil cleaner on it then blowing it out with air.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Its probably the idle control motor sticking or starting to stick. Try pulling the throttle body off and using a foaming oil cleaner on it then blowing it out with air.

Sean
    Thanks Sean.... You make everything sound so simple . I do appreciate the help though. Now back to the service manual to see what's involved in pulling the throttle body. I may try adjusting the cable though first though. Sounds a bit easier.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

Sean
    Thanks Sean.... You make everything sound so simple . I do appreciate the help though. Now back to the service manual to see what's involved in pulling the throttle body. I may try adjusting the cable though first though. Sounds a bit easier.
    Its simple and quick to try the cable. Let me know if you need some help.

Sean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information