+1

Question Steering play (left/right) while under way - 2008 FX Cruiser SHO

So, this has been bugging me for a while now but I've never taken the time to dig into it. Here's the deal.

Out on the water at cruising speed or higher, there is play in the steering, like I can turn a couple of degrees in each direction before anything happens. This also results in some wandering, especially in chop or following wakes (Not chine walking). Going high speed I actually thought I felt the nozzle "wagging" the tail at a pretty good osscilation rate. It wasn't violent, but felt like a pretty good shimmy.

So I figure I'll just find out what's loose while it's out of the water, I should be able to grab the nozzle and feel/see the play before the handlebars move, right? Wrong! Everything appears to be tight, I can't move the nozzle one bit in either direction without the handlebars moving. I haven't pulled the bulkhead cover in the bow compartment to check/adjust the steering cables there, I wanted to come here first and see if anyone has experienced this and knows the best way to fix it. Ski has something like 137 hours on it.

Any ideas? Would like to get it sorted out before our long annual ride in just over a week.

Thanks!

+1
    Well, after getting my wife to help by holding the handlebars still, I can't find anything wrong. I couldn't move the nozzle without the bars wanting to move and I put quite a bit of force on the nozzle by hand. I'm left with the assumption that there's a neutral dead zone with the design somewhere. Quite strange, but at least I feel better knowing nothing is loose.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    My steering cable went......I had another ski that did that right before the cable went.....

+1
    My new FZS has a little play in the steering too. When it gets so bad that when I turn the bars lock to lock and still travels in a straight line...then I'll worry about it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    My steering cable went......I had another ski that did that right before the cable went.....
    Nothing wrong with the cable, no corrosion, no binding, everything is fine. Like I said, only about 137 hours on the ski, no saltwater, etc. I have no doubt the cable is OK. Something else is up that seems like it has to do with the nozzle design where small movement around center doesn't do anything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ScramblerKidd View Post
    My new FZS has a little play in the steering too. When it gets so bad that when I turn the bars lock to lock and still travels in a straight line...then I'll worry about it.
    So we're on the same page, you're talking about only when you're on the water and on plane, right? Steering centered, you can turn a little to the left/right and the ski doesn't change direction, there's no resistance like when you really make a turn?

Best way I can explain what I think is happening is it's as if the jet flow through the nozzle is smaller than the nozzle itself, or the nozzle is too short, and moving the nozzle a little in each direction off-center isn't enough for the nozzle to redirect the flow. The flow is still able to flow straight through even though the nozzle is slightly off-center.

+1
    Yep. Thats normal. I can move the bar about. 1/4" at the tip underway. It's just play in all the pivot points.

Thread Information